Fans roast the Mets over the new ridiculously large jersey patches

New York Mets v Miami Marlins
New York Mets v Miami Marlins / Megan Briggs/GettyImages

The New York Mets have a partnership with New York Presbyterian Hospital which, in itself, provides plenty of jokes for an oft-injured ball club. It’s a good cause though. If the last few years have taught us anything it’s about the importance of healthcare.

But we also know a bad design when we see it. The Mets revealed what the patches will look like. Fans who stayed home on Thursday due to a non-rainout rainout were ready with jokes.

The NY Mets missed in a literal big way with these patches

This looks more look an advertisement for the hospital with a jersey attached to it. What's with all of the extra white space? It could be so much simpler and get the message across.

71% of the earth is covered by water. The other 29% is covered by this patch.

It’s a great partnership and there’s definitely some guilt to tease about it. It’s also a pretty bad look. Let’s see what some other fans had to say.

The Mets are having a rough week. Three losses to the Milwaukee Brewers followed by a failed attempt to send Tylor Megill to New York ahead of schedule only to then push back Thursday's game to Friday despite there being no actual rain in the forecast all created a storm of trouble. A lot of these things are minor, but they don't feel like the Steve Cohen version of the Mets we've come to expect and respect.

A jersey patch is certainly not something to get worked up over especially because this comes from an entirely different department than the one putting players on the field. It is silly, though, for a franchise with an owner as involved as Cohen for something like this to slip through the cracks.

We'll get our first look at these patches on Friday. And the good news is even if you're sitting in the last row you'll be able to read every letter.

Next. 2 truths and 1 lie about this year's Mets team. dark