On June 9, 1999 things went a little sideways for Bobby Valentine and the New York Mets. You likely remember the scene, but we'll re-tell it just to be safe.
The Mets and Jays were tied in the 12th inning. Valentine called for a pitchout, to keep Shannon Stewart from stealing second base. His instincts were correct, because Stewart bolted for second base and Mike Piazza's throw was just late.
However, the umpire ruled Piazza moved too far out of the box, resulting in a catcher's balk.
That didn't sit well with Valentine.
Valentine was adamant that - despite a life-long history in baseball - he'd never seen that particular play be enforced during a game. He was angry, and as he (20 years later) told MLB.com:
"I came out to talk with [home plate umpire] Randy Marsh. I asked him if I could get thrown out for what I was thinking and he said 'no.' Then I told him what I was thinking and then he threw me out."
Valentine went to the dugout, donned a new hat, sunglasses (despite it being a night game) and put some eye-black tape on his upper lip.
It cost Valentine a two-game suspension and a $5,000 fine - but in our opinion it was well worth it. Which is why you're going to love FOCO's latest, limited-edition bobblehead release.
From FOCO: Who is that mustachioed mystery man!? Okay, okay. It's this Bobby Valentine New York Mets In Disguise Bobblehead. Just keep it on the down-low. He's trying to keep a low profile.
Only 360 of these are being produced. They will begin shipping in December. So if you want one - and we know you do - you need to act fast.
Below, you can find additional item details.
- Portrays Valentine sitting in the dugout and wearing a disguise, ready to manage the game while going incognito
- Wordmark team name display on backdrop, in case there were any doubts where your allegiances lie
- Bold team logo display on reverse side of backdrop that will look great in your collection
- Team-colored base with repeat team logo pattern and JUNE 9, 1999 text display so you'll never forget that iconic moment
- Team logo display on front of base for a little extra team spirit
- Front name display so everyone knows who the face of your franchise is
- Hand painted
This post contains affiliate links, where we may receive a percentage of any sale made from the links on this page. Prices and availability are accurate as of the time of publication.