How well do you know the 2018 New York Mets? This quiz should help determine how well you paid attention last season.
The 2018 New York Mets season wasn’t all that pleasant when it was all said and done but it was sure one to remember. This quiz will test your knowledge on the good, the bad, the ugly and the Metsiest moments of the 2018 season.
This quiz will have three sections of five questions each across varying difficulty levels. As the quiz becomes more difficult, multiple choice options will become less frequent. The answers will be posted at the end of the slides (no peeking).
And of course, any suggestions on things you liked or disliked about the quiz are more than welcome in the comments section or on Twitter. Do you think you have what it takes to ace it? Let’s get right to it then.
1. Which Mets starting pitcher had the teams second most innings pitched this past year with 182.1IP?
A. Steven Matz
B. Zack Wheeler
C. Jacob deGrom
D. Noah Syndergaard
2. Who is the only position player to pitch in a game for the Mets in 2018?
A. Jacob deGrom
B. Matt den Dekker
C. Luis Guillorme
D. Jose Reyes
3. Which player appeared in the most games at first base for the Mets this past year with 83?
A. Dominic Smith
B. Wilmer Flores
C. Adrian Gonzalez
D. Peter Alonso
4. Which player signed the largest Mets contract of the 2017-2018 offseason?
A. Jay Bruce
B. Todd Frazier
C. Yoenis Cespedes
D. Jason Vargas
5. Who had the most stolen bases on the 2018 Mets?
A. Jose Reyes
B. Brandon Nimmo
C. Rickey Henderson
D. Amed Rosario
6. With 243 total bases, which Met led the team in that category in 2018?
A. Michael Conforto
B. Brandon Nimmo
C. Amed Rosario
D. Asdrubal Cabrera
7. Who was the Mets starting catcher on Opening Day?
A. Travis d’Arnaud
B. Tomas Nido
C. Jose Lobaton
D. Kevin Plawecki
8. Which team did the Mets beat in 2018’s Little League Classic?
9. Which American League All-Star hit a home run off of lone Mets ASG representative, Jacob deGrom in this past year’s Midsummer Classic?
10. With a win over the Washington Nationals on September 21st, Jacob deGrom broke a three-way tie with which two players for most consecutive quality starts, improving to 23 straight?
A. Jim Palmer and Mike Mussina
B. Steve Carlton and Roy Halladay
C. Sandy Koufax and Fernando Valenzuela
D. Bob Gibson and Chris Carpenter
11. Eight different Mets started at leadoff this past year. Can you name them all?
(Bonus question: Only four Mets position players batted from the nine-hole in games where there was no DH. Who were they?)
12. The same relief pitcher that gave up six earned runs in two innings pitched in the Mets 25-4 loss to the Nationals on July 31st, also closed out their 24-4 win over the Phillies on August 16th with two scoreless IP. Who was that pitcher?
13. Name the twelve Mets pitchers that started a game for the club this past year. (Hint: one of them has a name that rhymes with Bathtub theBomb)
14. Which two Mets batters batted out of order during the first inning of the May 9th game against the Reds?
15. Which team did the Mets play against in David Wright‘s final game? (Who was honestly paying attention to that?)
Are you ready for the answers?
Section 1 Answers
1. B- Zack Wheeler
2. D- Jose Reyes: He only gave up 6 runs in his lone inning of work.
3. B- Wilmer Flores: Wishing him all the best in Arizona.
4. A- Jay Bruce: His 3-year/$39million deal was more than other notable deals such as Todd Frazier’s 2/$17m, Jason Vargas’ 2/$16m and Anthony Swarzak‘s 2/$14. If you went with Yoenis Cespedes, you may want to re-read the question a little more closely.
5. D- Amed Rosario: Rosario’s 24 steals easily paced the Mets. Brandon Nimmo and Todd Frazier were tied for second with 9 steals apiece.
Section 2 Answers
6. A- Michael Conforto: Amed Rosario (211) and Brandon Nimmo (209) were the only other Mets above 200 TB.
7. D- Kevin Plawecki
8. Phillies: By a score of 8-2. The kids were treated to an electrifying matchup between Jason Vargas and Nick Pivetta.
9. Mike Trout: Eh, if it had to be anyone…
10. D- Bob Gibson and Chris Carpenter: deGrom ended the season with his 24 consecutive quality start streak intact.
Section 3 Answers
11. Nimmo (65 games started at leadoff), Rosario (57), Conforto (20), A. Cabrera (12), Reyes (3), Lagares (2), Bautista (2?!?!), Frazier (1).
Bonus Question Answer: Rosario (43), Reinheimer (4), Reyes (1), Nimmo (1).
12. Jacob Rhame: He had a pretty eventful three weeks, to say the least.
13. deGrom (32), Matz (30), Wheeler (29), Syndergaard (25), Vargas (20), Oswalt (12), Lugo (5), Harvey (4), *gasps for air*, Conlon (2), Blevins (1), Gagnon (1), Flexen (1). It was a strange year…
14. Wilmer Flores and Asdrubal Cabrera. The official lineup card had Cabrera in the 2tw-spot and Flores in the three-spot. The result was the umpire taking away Cabrera’s two-out double, as well as calling out the subsequent batter, Jay Bruce. Poor Jay.
15. The Miami Marlins. Farewell, Captain. Thanks for the memories.
Want your voice heard? Join the Rising Apple team!
How many questions did you get right?