The Flushing Nine are back home after posting a disappointing 2-5 road trip, in which they won 2 of 3 in Philadelphia, but lost 4 straight to the Chicago Cubs.
Colon breezed through the 1st inning, needing only 7 pitches to retire the side. Beginning in the 2nd inning, however, the Brewers began hitting the ball hard, and often. Bartolo was chased from the game after 5 innings of work, and behind by a 6-0 margin.
May 15, 2015; New York City, NY, USA; Milwaukee Brewers right fielder Gerardo Parra (28) heads home on his home run to right during the fifth inning against the New York Mets at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports
Meanwhile, Kyle Lohse didn’t surrender a hit until the 5th inning, and only allowed two hits in 8 innings pitched.
The Mets went down quietly in the 9th against Michael Blazek to close out a 7-0 defeat.
They have now lost five straight.
Mets Starting Lineup:
In the bottom of the 1st, Kyle Lohse retired the Mets in order as well.
In the top of the 2nd, first baseman Adam Lind stroked a lead-off double over the head of Juan Lagares. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez then powered a double to left scoring Lind. Colon regrouped to retire the next three batters, thanks in large part to Ruben Tejada‘s diving play to his right, denying pitcher Kyle Lohse from a base hit and aiding his own cause.
In the top of the 3rd, shortstop Hector Gomez grounded to Wilmer Flores, who’s throw pulled Lucas Duda off first for an E-6. Carlos Gomez then doubled off the 370′ mark on the left field wall to score Hector Gomez all the way from first. Left fielder Gerardo Parra followed with a deep fly to right that was misjudged by Curtis Granderson for a double; Carlos Gomez scored. Ryan Braun then stepped in, and clubbed a long home run to left, making it a 5-0 Brewers lead.
In the top of the 5th, Gerardo Parra led-off with a home run to give the Brewers a 6-0 lead.
In the bottom of the frame, Wilmer Flores singled for the first Mets hit of the game.
- Bartolo Colon was through after 5 innings pitched. He threw 62 pitches, with 52 (84%) going for strikes. He allowed 6 runs (5 earned) on 7 hits (5 for extra bases, including 2 home runs). He issued no walks and fanned 2 batters.
Reliever Alex Torres entered the game in the 6th inning, and pitched through the 7th.
- Top 2nd inning – Adam Lind led off with a double to center. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez doubled to left, Lind scored.
- Top 3rd inning – Hector Gomez reached on an E-6. Carlos Gomez doubled, scoring Hector. Gerardo Parra doubled to score Carlos Gomez. Ryan Braun homered to left scoring Parra to make it a 5-0 Brewers lead.
- Top 5th inning – Gerardo Parra hit a lead-off home run to make it a 6-0 game.
- Top 8th inning – Ryan Braun led-off with his second home run of the game to give the Brewers a 7-0 lead.
- The Mets have now lost 5 straight, and tied their season low with 3 hits. They fanned 9 times.
- Catcher Johnny Monell made his first MLB start. He went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts.
- Bartolo Colon took the loss, his second of the season. His ERA grew from 3.30, to a 3.86 mark. He has issued one walk all season, and is now up to 42 strikeouts.
- Wilmer Flores committed his 9th error of the season.
- Dilson Herrera is headed to the 15-day disabled list after suffering a fractured tip to his right middle finger while fielding grounders during infield practice.
5/16 – Saturday, 7:10pm; Fedora Giveaway Day
Brewers @ METS