After suffering a dislocated shoulder at the end of August of last year, Michael Conforto is again swinging a bat.
And that’s a great sign of his progress so far. The Mets young stud told reporters in Port St. Lucie on Tuesday that he was anxious about trying his shoulder out with a swing.
"‘I’ve been waiting forever to do that. It feels great,” Conforto said. “It really makes you understand how much you love it.”"
Conforto was taking hacks off a tee, so he still has a little ways to go before we can really get excited, but his rehab is obviously going well.
According to the Mets, Conforto is a little bit ahead of schedule, but the target date for his return hasn’t changed and is still May 1. The team and Conforto want to be as certain as possible that they’re not rushing anything. This was a serious injury the 24-year-old suffered, and no one is taking any chances on re-aggrevaiting it.
"“Everything has been smooth since (being allowed to take swings). I have to keep working, baby steps since then. I couldn’t be more happy to be swinging a bat, holding a bat, seeing some live pitching, all that stuff.”"
Conforto had been sidelined since undergoing surgery to repair his shoulder in September. Over the fall and winter, he’s had to rest while he heals which for any athlete can be extremely frustrating.
The lone All-Star representative for the Mets in 2017, Conforto was closing in on the 30 home run mark for the first time in his career before this freak occurrence.
No one really knows if Conforto could suffer a similar injury again in the future, but according to doctors, there’s a 99 percent chance, he shouldn’t have to worry about that going forward. Let’s hope that’s the case for the rest of his career.