Mets injury news: Wright on track to return when eligible
David Wright rode a stationary bike on Monday and is on schedule to return as soon as his 15-day disabled list stint is up, Sandy Alderson told reporters.
Wright had an MRI last Wednesday at the Hospital for Special Surgery and received a cortisone shot.
Wright, who was placed on the DL last Wednesday after suffering a mild right hamstring strain during last Tuesday’s game, received a cortisone shot and rested for a a few days after his diagnosis. He is eligible to be activated when the Mets open a four-game series against the Nationals at Citi Field on April 30.
Wright exited last Tuesday night’s game after suffering the injury while sliding into second base in the eighth inning, and said after the game that he pulled himself in an effort to not worsen the injury.
In 2013, Wright suffered a hamstring injury, tried to play through it and eventually worsened it – missing roughly a month and a half.
That Wright might return the first day he’s eligible is fantastic news, especially considering that manager Terry Collins labeled the injury a “major problem” after the game last Tuesday.
So far, the Mets have done nothing but win since Wright’s injury, with Eric Campbell stepping in as the starter at third base and Danny Muno having been called up from Triple-A Las Vegas to give the team a five-man bench.
However, with Travis d’Arnaud out at least three weeks after suffering a fractured right pinky finger on Sunday, Wright returning in just 10 days would take some pressure off the rest of the offense.
That the Mets have continued to win with Wright out and both Daniel Murphy and Curtis Granderson not hitting much is impressive, but those two will have to step up at some point. In Granderson’s case, he’s hit into lots of hard luck. As far as Murphy is concerned, it seems that he’s still not 100 percent after returning from a hamstring injury of his own.