Game Recap: Mets fall to Rays 8-4 in Port Charlotte
Bartolo Colon allowed five runs in two innings pitched and the Mets lost to the Rays, 8-4, on Sunday in Port Charlotte.
The Mets found themselves in an early 5-0 hole after Bartolo Colon surrendered two runs in the first inning and three more in the second.
In the top of the fourth, the Mets got two runs back – one coming home on an RBI single by Matt den Dekker – to draw within 5-2.
A single run by the Rays in the fourth and back-to-back home runs off Matthew Bowman in the seventh increased their advantage to 8-2.
The Mets got a run back in the top of the eighth on an RBI single by Kirk Nieuwenhuis and scored a run in the ninth on the strength of a Johnny Monell home run.
- Bartolo Colon, who said after the game that he was simply working on all of his pitches, allowed five runs on seven hits while walking one and striking out three in two innings of work.
- Jack Leathersich tossed a perfect inning in relief, striking out one.
- Carlos Torres worked around a walk in a scoreless frame.
- Wilmer Flores went 2-for-4 and is hitting .462 this Spring.
- Lucas Duda went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
The Mets, with Matt Harvey on the hill, take on the Red Sox in Fort Myers on Monday at 1:05 PM.
Noah Syndergaard is scheduled to pitch after Harvey.
More from New York Mets News
- NY Mets: Trade market for starting pitchers feels non-existent
- NY Mets need to call the Athletics about a Matt Chapman trade
- NY Mets dream starting lineup for the 2022 season
- NY Mets offseason makeover might be a simple “She’s All That” situation
- NY Mets: 8 Ex-Amazins who killed it with other teams in 2021