The Mets took the field at Great American Ballpark today, looking to win two of three from the Reds. The Mets sent Zack Wheeler to the mound against Matt Latos for Cincinnati. The Mets were also attempting to conclude their six-game road trip through Miami and Cincinnati with a 4-2 record. Today they did just that, behind strong pitching from Wheeler and the bullpen, as well as some thunder off the bats of Anthony Recker and Curtis Granderson, defeating the Reds by the score of 4-3.
Sep 5, 2014; Cincinnati, OH, USA; New York Mets right fielder Curtis Granderson (3) hits an RBI double during the first inning at Great American Ball Park. Cincinnati Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco (39) is at right. Mandatory Credit: David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports
- The game was scoreless into the 5th inning, when the Reds strung together 3 singles with 2 outs against Wheeler. Latos began the hit party, followed by Billy Hamilton and Skip Schumaker, who plated Latos for the RBI.
- The Mets answered in the 6th, when Billy Hamilton dropped a fly ball off the bat of Wilmer Flores (for a 2-base error), who scored on a solid drive down the right field line by Granderson. The game was tied 1-1.
- Later in the inning, Anthony Recker smashed one off the facing of the second deck for a 2-run home run, giving the Mets a 3-1 lead.
- Granderson homered in the 8th, for a 4-1 Mets lead.
- The game seemed in control when Jenrry Mejia took the mound in the 9th, after a strong 8th by Jeurys Familia. However, Jay Bruce led off with a home run. With one out, Ryan Ludwick drove in another run, and the score was 4-2.
- Here’s where it became interesting. The Reds had runners on first and second with two outs when Todd Frazier stepped to the plate. Frazier grounded to David Wright, who double-clutched on the throw to first. The call was out, but on review, it was over-turned and the game went on. Mejia struck out Devin Mesoraco on three pitches to end the game.
- It was a wild 9th. Mejia had nothing today, yet he battled for the save. Interestingly, at no point did Terry Collins have a pitcher warming in the bullpen.