TheMets took the field in Chavez Ravine today, hoping to avoid the sweep at the hands of the Dodgers. Bartolo Colon, just off the bereavement list following the passing of his mother, took the mound against the Dodgers’ Kevin Correia. Colon was outstanding, pitching 6 innings, allowing 2 runs on two hits while striking out five. LucasDuda drove in five runs to lead the Mets offensively.
Aug 24, 2014; Los Angeles, CA, USA; New York Mets first basemanLucas Duda
(21) watches his home run during the ninth inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports
- Duda hit two home runs, a 3-run shot in the third and a solo shot in the ninth. His 3-run home run went to the back of the bleachers in right field.
- Travis d’Arnaud hit a solo home run, and Ruben Tejada added a 2-run round tripper.
- Daniel Murphy, Juan Lagares, and Eric Young Junior also drive in runs for the Mets today.
- The Mets played fine defense today, highlighted by an outstanding grab in left field by Eric Young Junior.
- David Wright left the game in the third inning with a pain in his neck, and Daniel Murphy also left the game with an injury. Murphy has a sore calf.
- Buddy Carlyle and Carlos Torres pitched the final three innings for the Mets, allowing a combined one run on four hits.
- The Mets turned a triple play today. Matt Kemp grounded into a routine double play with runners on first and second. However, Yasiel Puig tried to score from second on the play, and Lucas Duda threw him out at the plate.
- The Mets went 2-3 on a five-game trip through Oakland and Los Angeles.
The Mets will take Monday off, before opening a six-game home stand against the Braves and Phillies.