Thursday in Port St. Lucie, the Mets took on the Braves.
Mar 4, 2014; Port St. Lucie, FL, USA; New York Mets starting pitcherZack Wheeler
(45) throws against the Houston Astros in spring training action at Tradition Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Barr-USA TODAY Sports
Zack Wheeler got the start for the Mets and gave up 2 runs on a bunch of hard hit balls in the top of the first. It could’ve been worse, but center fielder Juan Lagares climbed the wall to rob what would’ve been an extra base hit in the middle of the frame.
The Mets got 1 run back in the bottom of the first when David Wright stroked a sacrifice fly to center field, and tied things at 2 in the bottom of the fourth when Ruben Tejada doubled and Chris Young drove him in with an RBI single.
The Braves got to Kyle Farnsworth in the seventh, plating a run on a Ramiro Pena RBI single to close within 4-3. After Farnsworth exited, Scott Rice came in and allowed the tying and go ahead runs to score when he served up a 2 run double to Justin Upton. That made it 5-4 Atlanta.
In the top of the ninth, the Braves added an unearned run off Jose Valverde to take a 6-4 lead.
After getting 2 runners on in the bottom of the ninth, Anthony Recker launched a 2 out, 3 run homer to left to give the Mets a 7-6 victory.
- Zack Wheeler settled in nicely after an uneven 1st inning. His line: 5.1 IP, 2 runs on 5 hits, 1 walk and 2 K’s. He has a 1.69 ERA this spring.
- Ike Davis made his return to the lineup and went 0 for 3.
- Eric Young, Jr. 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Juan Lagares went 1 for 2 with an RBI and a run scored, and made a spectacular catch at the center field wall. He was hit by a pitch in the shoulder in his third at bat, and left the game (he appeared to be fine).
- Travis d’Arnaud went 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Ruben Tejada had by far his best game of the spring, going 3 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Chris Young went 1 for 3 with an RBI.
- Kyle Farnsworth allowed 2 runs on 2 hits and 1 walk in an inning of work. His velocity was better than it had been, but he struggled with his command.
- Vic Black tossed a perfect 8th. He struck out 1.
- Jose Valverde gave up 2 hits and an unearned run in his inning of work.
- Anthony Recker hit a game winning, 3 run homer in the 9th.
The Mets travel to Fort Myers on Friday to take on the Twins. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 PM.