Tuesday in Jupiter, the Mets took on the Cardinals. Jonathon Niese, who was slowed by shoulder fatigue earlier in camp, got the start in his 2014 Grapefruit League debut.
Feb 20, 2014; Port St Lucie, FL, USA;New York Mets starting pitcherJonathon Niese
(49) in spring training action at Tradition Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Barr-USA TODAY Sports
The Mets jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second when Josh Satin homered, but the Cardinals came right back in the bottom of the frame.
Off a rusty Jonathon Niese, Kolten Wong stroked a 2 run homer to right field to put the Cards on top 2-1. With two outs in the frame, Allen Craig delivered a 2 run double off the center field wall as the Cards increased their lead to 4-1.
The Cardinals added a run in the bottom of the fourth, using a sacrifice fly off the bat of Matt Holliday to take a 5-1 lead.
The Mets took the lead in the top of the fifth. After a single by Andrew Brown and a double by Wilmer Flores, Omar Quintanilla drove in a run with a ground out to second and Eric Young, Jr. drove in another with an infield single to cut the lead to 5-3. Juan Lagares dunked a single into left field, and Kirk Nieuwenhuis followed by crushing a three run homer to center to put the Mets up 6-5.
In the top of the ninth, Zach Lutz put the Mets back on top 9-8 when he lifted a solo homer to left field.
Miguel Socolovich, who has close to no chance to make the big league bullpen, came in for the bottom of the ninth and put the first two runners on. However, he wiggled out of the jam to secure the victory.
- Jonathon Niese made his spring debut and allowed 4 runs on 6 hits in 2 uneven innings of work. He walked 2 and struck out none.
- Rafael Montero was solid in 2 innings of work. He allowed 1 run on 1 hit, walked 1 and struck out 1.
- Wilmer Flores got his first start at shortstop since 2011, and looked decent. However, it simply doesn’t appear that he has the range or speed to handle the position. At the plate, he went 2 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Eric Young, Jr. went 1 for 3 with a run scored and an RBI. He’s hitting .294 this spring.
- Juan Lagares went 1 for 5 with a run scored. He’s hitting .318 this spring.
- Jose Valverde gave up 3 hits and 2 runs in his inning of work.
- Vic Black allowed 2 hits and struck out 3 in 1.1 scoreless innings of work.
- Scott Rice tossed a perfect inning.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis hit a 3 run homer.
- Gonzalez Germen gave up a run in the 8th. His ERA this spring is 9.00.
The Mets take on the Cardinals again tomorrow, this time in Port St. Lucie. John Lannan will be on the hill. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 PM.