Mets Notes from Spring Training: 3/29
By Danny Abriano
News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- LHP Robert Carson, IF Omar Quintanilla, and C Landon Powell will all open the season with AAA Las Vegas.
- Per Adam Rubin, shortstop Gavin Cecchini will remain in Florida for extended spring training before joining Brooklyn (short season A ball) when their season begins. Outfielder Brandon Nimmo will open the season with Low-A Savannah.
- LHP Scott Rice has been informed that he’s made the team.
- Per the beat writers, Reese Havens and Darin Gorski (who were removed from the 40-man roster earlier today) have cleared waivers.
- Terry Collins is planning to make a round of cuts after this afternoon’s game against the Cardinals.
- According to sources, both Greg Burke and Jeurys Familia have secured spots in the bullpen for Opening Day. The Mets are likely to carry eight relievers, with Shaun Marcum expected to hit the DL for a backdated stint that will allow him to pitch the sixth game of the season. When Marcum is activated, it’s anticipated that the Mets will demote one of the relievers (potentially Burke or Familia) to make room on the roster.
, the Mets are removing bothReese Havens
from the 40-man roster in order to clear space. If one or both pass through waivers, they can be assigned to the minors.
March 23, 2013; Port St Lucie, FL, USA; New York Mets third baseman David Wright (right) in the dugout before the spring training game against the Washington Nationals at Tradition Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Barr-USA TODAY Sports
- Top pitching prospect Zack Wheeler and fellow prospect Aderlin Rodriguez were involved in a minor incident last week. During an intrasquad game, Rodriguez homered off Wheeler and styled as he rounded the bases. The next time they faced each-other, Wheeler drilled Rodriguez in the hand. The two had words, and were called into a meeting with Mets brass to smooth things over. One beat reporter insinuated that racial tension between the two players was a result of the incident, but that appears to be nonsense.
- Jeremy Hefner, who was drilled in his pitching elbow by a one-hopper during his last start, threw off a mound today and feels fine. Per Jorge Castillo, he expects to throw a few innings off the mound tomorrow as well.
- As is noted below, David Wright is in today’s lineup. It’s his first Grapefruit League appearance since his intercostal injury, and evidence that the Mets believe he’ll be ready to go on Opening Day.
- The Mets host the Cardinals this afternoon at 12:10 PM. The game won’t be televised or on the radio, but can be followed via MLB Gameday. Here’s the Mets’ lineup:
- Mike Baxter, RF
- Daniel Murphy, 2B
- David Wright, 3B
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Marlon Byrd, CF
- Lucas Duda, LF
- John Buck, C
- Ruben Tejada, SS
- Matt Harvey, RHP
Thanks for reading! Be sure to Like Rising Apple’s Facebook page and follow @RisingAppleBlog on Twitter to keep up with the latest news, rumors, and opinion.