Mets Notes from Spring Training: 3/27
News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Here’s the latest on Daniel Murphy:
- Here’s the latest on Shaun Marcum:
- According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Mets expect David Wright to be ready for Opening Day.
Mike Puma of the New York Post tweeted that “Mets people expect” FOX to attempt to hireRon Darling
to join their broadcasting team. Long time analystTim McCarver
is retiring at the end of this season.
Mar 11, 2012; Lakeland, FL, USA; New York Mets starting pitcher Jonathon Niese (49) pitches against the Detroit Tigers during the game at Joker Marchant Stadium. The Mets beat the Tigers 11-0. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
- This is a must read story on Brian Cole, a Mets prospect who died when his truck flipped at the end of spring training in 2001. There is also an eight page story on Cole in the Sports Illustrated baseball preview issue that just hit the stands.
- Per Andy Martino of the Daily News, Shaun Marcum (neck) did “dry work” off the mound today – practiced his motion with a towel but didn’t throw a ball.
- Pedro Feliciano, who has agreed to stay in the minors in an effort to build arm strength, will pitch for Single A St. Lucie, not AAA Las Vegas.
- Jeremy Hefner, who was struck in his pitching elbow by a one-hopper yesterday, had the following to say this morning:
"I feel good. I probably can’t throw today, obviously. It’s a little stiff. But I’m getting my range of motion back. We’ll treat it the whole day. My goal is to play catch tomorrow, but their [the Mets’] goal is probably a little different.Hefner believes he’ll be ready to pitch when his turn in the rotation comes up (likely the fourth game of the season according to Adam Rubin). Hefner said he plans to throw either a bullpen session or a simulated game in order to prepare for his season debut."
- The Mets host the Astros tonight at 6:10 PM. The game can be seen on SNY and heard on WFAN 660 AM/101.9 FM. Here’s the Mets’ lineup:
- Jordany Valdespin, 2B
- Collin Cowgill, LF
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Marlon Byrd, RF
- Lucas Duda, DH
- John Buck, C
- Justin Turner, 3B
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis, CF
- Ruben Tejada, SS
LHP Jonathon Niese gets the start for the Mets. It’ll be Niese’s final appearance before Opening Day.
Thanks for reading! Be sure to Like Rising Apple’s Facebook page and follow @RisingAppleBlog on Twitter to keep up with the latest news, rumors, and opinion.