Mets Notes from Spring Training: 3/11
By Danny Abriano
News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis (bruised knee) is expected to resume baseball activities tomorrow.
- In his return to game action, Jenrry Mejia gained velocity (as high as 96 MPH), but more importantly rediscovered the cutting action on his fastball.
- Jordany Valdespin was hit square in the groin on a 94 MPH fastball from Justin Verlander during the fifth inning of today’s game. He fell to the ground after being hit and was replaced by a pinch runner. He later told Adam Rubin that he was fine, and laughed it off.
Feb 26, 2013; Jupiter, FL, USA; New York Mets relief pitcherJenrry Mejia
(32) throws in the first inning during a spring training game against the Miami Marlins at Roger Dean Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
- Terry Collins all but confirmed that Jeremy Hefner will be the fill-in for the rotation in the event Johan Santana isn’t ready to start the season.
- Jenrry Mejia is scheduled to pitch today. It’ll be his first appearance since he was shut down with a thyroid issue.
- The Mets travel to Lakeland to take on the Tigers this afternoon at 1:05 PM. The game won’t be televised or on local radio, but can be followed via MLB Gameday. Here’s the lineup:
- Jordany Valdespin, 2B
- Ruben Tejada, SS
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Lucas Duda, LF
- Mike Baxter, RF
- John Buck, C
- Travis d’Arnaud, DH
- Matt den Dekker, CF
- Brandon Hicks, 3B
LHP Jonathon Niese gets the start for the Mets.
Thanks for reading! Be sure to Like Rising Apple’s Facebook page and follow@RisingAppleBlog on Twitter to keep up with the latest news, rumors, and opinion.