Notes from Spring Training: 2/20
By Danny Abriano
News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Per the Mets, the team has agreed to minor league deals with RHP Andy Wells, who will report to minor league spring training, and OF James Roche, who will report to extended spring training.
- According to Adam Rubin, the Mets are holding second baseman Reese Havens back a bit (as far as his early participation) this spring in an effort to keep him healthy. Havens has suffered through various injuries throughout his minor league career, with his back being especially bothersome.
- Per the beat writers, Kirk Nieuwenhuis will lead off Saturday when the Mets play their first game of the spring.
- Terry Collins just said it appears is if Jenrry Mejia (visa issue) has been cleared to report to camp. The beat guys later reported that the investigation confirmed Mejia is who he says he is. Mejia is Mejia, Finkle is Einhorn, Ferris Bueller is the Sausage King of Chicago, and Mejia will be in camp later this week.
- Jay Jaffee of SI.com lists which teams he feels are the best fits for Alfonso Soriano, with the Mets among them. Soriano has given the Cubs a list of “six or seven” teams he would accept a trade to. The Chicago Sun Times, citing sources, reported that the Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Yankees, and White Sox are among the teams on Soriano’s list.
- Per the beat writers, Johan Santana is currently throwing his second bullpen session of spring training.
Sep 27, 2012; Flushing, NY,USA; New York Mets second basemanDaniel Murphy
(28) singles to center allowing a runner to score during the fifth inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Anthony Gruppuso-US PREWIRE
- Mets prospect Cesar Puello, who was linked yesterday to the Biogenesis clinic, refused to address the report. Instead, he referred all questions to the MLBPA.
- After being asked by the Daily News, David Wright endorsed manager Terry Collins as a “perfect fit” for the team. The Daily News reported it as Wright being hell-bent about Collins having to stick around beyond 2013, but that’s not how the article reads.
- Per the beat writers, Daniel Murphy has arrived back at camp after visiting the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Adam Rubin of ESPN reported that Murphy’s diagnosis was as expected. He received a cortisone shot, and will hopefully be back in action in about a week or so.
Thanks for reading! Be sure to Like Rising Apple’s Facebook page and follow@RisingAppleBlog on Twitter to keep up with the latest news, rumors, and opinion.