The Pirates ripped the rug from right under the Mets hopes and dreams of reaching the .500 mark. Behind a stellar performance by Paul Maholm (7 IP, 3 Hits 0 ER, 2 BB, and 4 K’s), the Pirates were able to survive off just three runs. Mets starter Mike Pelfrey churned out a fantastic pitching performance himself (7 IP, 4 Hits, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K’s), but the Mets bats couldn’t figure out the crafty Maholm. Only Dan Murphy, Ruben Tejada, and a pinch-hitting Lucas Duda recorded hits off the Pirate’s lefty.
METS GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mike Pelfrey pitched one of his best games last night, hurling seven inning, giving-up just four hits, two earned-runs, zero walks, while striking-out six batters. The big righty lowered his June ERA to 5.50 with the performance.
- Jose Reyes knocked-in his 26th RBI with a sacrifice fly.
- Dan Murphy was one of just three Mets to record a hit–and he collected two. Murph was also caught stealing.
- Ruben Tejada went 1-2 with a walk, and run-scored.
- Lucas Duda smacked a pinch-hit single in the eighth inning.
- Terry Collins used three pitchers in the eighth inning–Manny Acosta, Tim Byrdak, and D.J. Carrasco.