It was an ugly series for the New York Mets. In the two games they lost, the Cubs offense outscored the Mets’ 20-4. Even though Jon Niese pitched well in Game 1, his defense betrayed him–including two errors by Ronny Paulino. The Mets luckily were in the lead in Game 2, before the umpires called it due to rain. Game 3 seemed promising at first, but R.A. Dickey slipped while covering first base, and left with a foot injury. The bullpen couldn’t pick-up the slack, surrendering an astounding eight earned-runs.
METS GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS (Cubs Win, 11-1):
- Jon Niese pitched five innings, giving-up seven hits, two earned-runs (six total), one walk, and struck-out five. He was handed the loss, but wasn’t exactly given sterling defense (or offense for that matter).
- The Mets bullpen combined for three innings, six hits, four earned-runs (five total), three walks, and four strike-outs.
- Jose Reyes went 2-4 with the game’s sole RBI. The speedster was also caught stealing for the fourth time this season.
- Dan Murphy smacked a double and also drew a walk.
- Jason Bay went 0-3, and left the game with a calf injury.
- Ronny Paulino connected for two singles, but it didn’t quite make-up for his two key errors behind the plate.
- Ruben Tejada went 2-4 with a double and a run-scored.
METS GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 7-4):
- Jose Reyes, Jason Pridie, and Ruben Tejada all had two-hit games.
- Carlos Beltran went 2-3 with a double, triple, two RBI, and two runs-scored.
- Dan Murphy collected RBI number fourteen and fifteen with just one swing of the bat (a single).
- Justin Turner bounced back after a few RBI-less nights, going 1-3 with a RBI-single, and run-scored.
- Dillon Gee hurled six solid innings, giving up four hits, four earned-runs, two walks, while striking-out four batters. It was his fourth win of the season (and he’s yet to record a loss).
METS GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS (Cubs Win, 9-3):
- R.A. Dickey pitched 2.6 innings, giving-up four hits, zero earned-runs, zero walks, and one strike-out. He left the game in the third inning after injuring his foot covering first base on a ground ball. The knuckleballer is currently walking in a boot, and will continued to be evaluated.
- Despite not allowing an earned-run in his first 18.6 innings, Pedro Beato has now surrendered five earned-runs in his last 1.6 innings of work.
- Aside from Taylor Buchholz and Francisco Rodriguez, the rest of the bullpen combined for thirteen hits, eight earned-runs, one walk, and five strikeouts.
- Jose Reyes went 2-4 with a double, walk, and a run-scored.
- Dan Murphy hit his ninth double of the season, and added two singles as well.
- Jason Pridie went 1-3 with his first career triple.