The crumby weather was the most noticeable theme of the week, but the Mets stealing two from Rockies–after getting swept in four games in April–was the biggest take-away. Mets pitchers Chris Capuano and Mike Pelfrey both pitched well in their respective outings, and Jon Niese came away with the win despite a five earned-run performance. The bats really woke up in the series finale, including an outstanding performance by Carlos Beltran (three two-run home-runs). To say at least, the Mets look like a completely different team than the last time they faced the Rockies.
METS GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS (Rockies Win, 2-1):
- Chris Capuano pitched 6.6 innings, allowing five hits, two earned-runs, three walks, while striking out four batters.
- Carlos Beltran went 0-2, but drew two walks, and scored a run.
- Ike Davis was the only Met to record a hit off Chacin, and did so twice.
- Jason Bay drew a walk, and also knocked in the only RBI of the game.
- Jason Pridie took two walks from the wild, but unhittable Chacin.
- Taylor Buchholtz threw a scoreless inning, lowering his seasonal ERA to 1.45.
METS GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 4-3):
- Jose Reyes went 1-4 with his twelve double of the season, and a run-scored.
- Dan Murphy smacked two singles, and scored a run.
- Ike Davis went 1-2 with two RBI before apparently straining his calf while knocking into David Wright on a pop-up. He is now on the disabled list.
- Ronny Paulino continued his terror by going 1-3 with a walk, and run-scored.
- Mike Pelfrey won his third game of the season behind a solid 6.6 innings, giving up six hits, three earned-runs, one walk, and two strikeouts. The pitcher also helped himself out with a two-RBI double.
METS GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 9-5):
- Carlos Beltran went 3-5 with three two-run home-runs. That’s six RBI and three runs-scored, folks.
- Jose Reyes knocked in the other two RBI with a single. He was also caught stealing.
- Jason Bay stole two bases off a single.
- Jon Niese pitched 6.3 innings, giving-up seven hits, five earned-runs, two walks, while striking out three. He was awarded the win, though he barely deserved it.