Today at Citi Field, Zack Wheeler took the mound for the Mets against the Texas Rangers’ Nick Tepesch. After the two teams split the first two games of the series, the Mets brought out the lumber, striking for five runs in the first inning and riding that outburst all the way to the 8-4 victory.
- The Mets scored five runs in the bottom of the first inning, highlighted by a two-out, run-scoring single by Juan Lagares and a three-run home run by Anthony Recker.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis added a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Lucas Duda had a double and an RBI.
- Daniel Murphy had a double and an RBI.
- Zack Wheeler was very good today. His final line was 6. 1 innings pitched, 6 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks and 4 strikeouts.
- Gonzalez Germen allowed 3 runs in 1/3 of an inning pitched.
- Jeurys Familia relieved Germen in the eighth inning, and restored order, recording the final 2 outs of the inning.
- Jenrry Mejia pitched the ninth for New York.
- Bottom of the first inning- Lucas Duda doubles in Curtis Granderson, Juan Lagares singles in Duda, Anthony Recker hits a 3-run home run. Mets lead 5-0.
- Top of the fourth inning- Robinson Chirinos hits a home run. Mets lead 5-1.
- Bottom of the sixth inning- Kirk Nieuwenhuis hit a home run. Mets lead 6-1.
- Bottom of the seventh inning- Daniel Murphy doubles in Curtis Granderson. Mets lead 7-1.
- Top of the eighth inning- Alex Rios hit s a home run. Leonys Martin hits a two-run home run. Mets lead 7-4.
- Bottom of the eighth inning- Ruben Tejada singles in Nieuwenhuis. Mets lead 8-4.