Today in Pittsburgh, the Mets took the field hoping for a split of their 4-game series with the Pirates. The Mets sent Bartolo Colon to the mound against the Pirates’ Edinson Volquez. Colon, who had been pitching well (6-0 over his last 7 starts), did not have his best stuff today. The Pirates got to him for 3 runs in the first, and added 2 in the 4th. They never looked back, and took the series from the Mets, 3 games to 1.
- The Pirates scored 3 in bottom of the first inning, 2 on an Ike Davis RBI single, then 1 more on a Pedro Alvarez double.
- The first inning could have been much worse, as the outs were well struck, and it took some strong Mets defense to keep the scoring down.
- The Mets squandered opportunity after opportunity in the game. They had runners on first and second with no outs in the third inning and did not score. They had a lead off double from Lucas Duda in the fourth inning and did not score. They had runners on first and second in the sixth with no outs, and did not score. Finally, they had a runner on third with one out in the seventh and did not score.
- Colon’s final line today was 6 innings pitched, 7 hits, 5 runs (all earned), 2 strikeouts and 1 walk.
- Gonzalez Germen pitched a clean 7th inning, and Dana Eveland pitched the 8th inning, allowing 1 hit.
- Eric Campbell had 2 hits today, capping a very strong series in Pittsburgh.
- Curtis Granderson did not have a hit in the series.
- Eric Young, Junior returned to the lead off spot, and had 2 hits today.
- Ruben Tejada had 2 hits, but struck out 3 times today.
- The Mets battled back in the 9th, plating 2 runs and sending the tying run to bat. Curtis Granderson, who went 0-17 in the series, hit a fly ball to right to end the game.
- Bottom of the 1st inning- Ike Davis 2-RBI single and Pedro Alvarez RBI double. Pirates lead 3-0.
- Bottom of the 4th inning- Pedro Alvarez 2-run home run, Pirates lead 5-0.
- Top of the 9th inning- Chris Young RBI ground out, Ruben Tejada RBI bloop single, Pirates win 5-2.