The Mets defeated the Marlins in Miami by the score of 11-5 today, taking 3 of 4 from their division rivals over the weekend. Jon Niese started for the Mets and pitched 6 effective innings, allowing 3 runs on 6 hits, striking out 4 and walking 2. Niese’s runs go in the books as earned, but he was the victim of shoddy defense in the 6th inning when the Marlins plated all 3 of their runs. Today was a hitting feast for the Mets, who got a 3-run home run from Daniel Murphy, and 2 RBIs each from Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Anthony Recker, and Eric Young, Jr.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis had two doubles, both absolutely smoked. His first was to left-center field, and hit high off the wall. It probably would have left every other park in the majors.
- Daniel Murphy’s home run gave the Mets a comfortable 7-0 lead in the 4th inning.
- Niese was cruising through 5 innings, and ran into trouble when Curtis Granderson (who had 3 hits today) mis-played a line drive leading off the 6th inning. Later in the inning, Daniel Murphy mis-played a low liner right at him, allowing a run to score.
- The Mets successfully executed a suicide squeeze in the second inning. Jon Niese got the bunt down with Nieuwenhuis streaking toward the plate.
- Everything seemed to click for the Mets today. The defense was good, the offense was on fire, and Niese and Carlos Torres, and pitched well.
- Gonzalez Germen pitched the 9th inning, allowing 2 runs.
- Top of 2nd- Anthony Recker sacrifice fly and Niese suicide squeeze. Mets lead 2-0.
- Top of 3rd- David Wright sarifice fly, Kirk Nieuwenhuis RBI double. Mets lead 4-0.
- Top of 4th- Daniel Murphy 3-run home run. Mets lead 7-0.
- Bottom of 6th- Reed Johnson RBI double, Giancarlo Stanton RBI single, Marcel Ozuna RBI single. Mets lead 7-3.
- Top of 7th- Ruben Tejada RBI single, Anthony Recker RBI double, Eric Young, Jr, 2 RBI single. Mets lead 11-3.
- The Mets had 17 hits in the game.