The Mets took the field on Father’s Day against the San Diego Padres, looking to take 2 of 3 and win the series, which would give them a 3-3 home stand. Daisuke Matsuzaka started for the Mets against San Diego’s Ian Kennedy. Matsuzaka, clearly looking uncomfortable on the mound, survived the first inning, but departed the game with what the Mets called a “severe upset stomach”. Carlos Torres relived Matsuzaka, and was followed to the mound by Carlos Torres, Vic Black, and Jenrry Mejia.
- The Mets relied on their bullpen today with Matsuzaka exiting after 1 inning, and the bullpen did not disappoint. The relievers threw 8 innings of 1-run ball.
- Carlos Torres pitched 4 innings, allowing 1 run on 3 hits.
- Vic Black battled his control, but pitched 2 scoreless innings.
- Jenrry Mejia, with a possible DL stint looming, entered the game in the 8th, and recorded a 6-out save. He retired all 6 hitters he faced.
- The Mets continued to strand base runners (11 today) but they were able to push 3 across the plate which were enough today.
- Curtis Granderson batted lead off for the first time as a Met, and opened the scoring with a lead off home run. Granderson went 2 for 3 on the day, and showed no ill effects from his calf injury.
- Bottom of the first inning- Curtis Granderson hit a solo home run, and Bobby Abreu doubled in another after a Daniel Murphy double and a David Wright walk.
- Top of the second inning- Rene Rivera singles in Carlos Quentin, making the score 2-1 in favor of the Mets.
- Bottom of the second inning- Daniel Murphy drives in Anthony Recker with a sacrifice fly, making the score 3-1 Mets.