After dropping two of three to Yasiel Puig and the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Mets attempted to open a three game weekend series Friday evening against the last place (N.L. West) Arizona Diamondbacks.
Second baseman Aaron Hill gave the visitors and early 2-0 lead, when he took Colon deep to left in the top of the 2nd inning.
In the middle of the 4th, a rather violent storm rolled into Flushing Bay delaying the game. Tonight’s game was eventually called at approximately 10:30pm.
Mets Starting Lineup:
Bartolo Colon’s first pitch of the evening was a fastball, inside for ball one to lead-off batter Gerardo Parra. Colon needed just 7 more pitches to retire the side in order, and fanned the last two batters looking.
In the bottom of the 1st, David Wright got the Mets first hit of the game off Chase Anderson.
Catcher Miguel Montero picked up Arizona’s first hit in the 2nd inning – an excuse me dribbler up the third base line. Aaron Hill immediately followed with a home run to left, giving the D-Backs an early 2-0 lead.
With no outs in the bottom of the 2nd and Chris Young on first, Lucas Duda looked at strike three. Wilmer Flores then bounced into an inning ending 5-4-3 double play.
Through his first three innings of work, Bartolo Colon threw 48 pitches, with 34 (70%) going for strikes. He allowed 4 hits, walked none, and fanned a pair. Aaron Hill’s home run came on a belt high fastball that bisected the plate.
Through their first 3 innings against Chase Anderson, the Mets managed just one single by Wright, and drew one walk by Chris Young.
With crackling storm clouds fast approaching in the top of the 4th inning, Colon got the better of Aaron Hill – striking him out with an elevated fastball. By the third out, lightning was illuminating the evening skies over Citi Field. In a proactive measure, the umpires ordered the tarp be rolled out, while over the public address fans were asked to seek the shelter provided by the concourses.
Bartolo was up to 67 pitches after four innings, with 46 (68%) going for strikes.
- Top 2nd inning - Leading off, Miguel Montero singled, and scored on Aaron Hill’s 5th home run of the season.
- Bartolo Colon will turn 41-years old on Saturday, May 24th.
- With no outs in the bottom of the 2nd and Chris Young on first, Lucas Duda looked at an inside fastball for strike three. It was a pitch legitimate left-handed power hitters traditionally crush. However, it is a pitch taken far too often by Lucas Duda.
- The game went into rain delay at roughly 8:14pm. An hour later, the rain was still intensifying. By 10:30pm the game was officially called.
- Friday night’s series opener was not an official game. All stats do not count. The game has been rescheduled for Sunday as a part of a double header.
5/24 Saturday, 4:10pm – Diamondbacks @ Mets