Dillon Gee played stopper Sunday afternoon, ending Colorado’s general abuse of Mets pitching. Making his 7th start of the season, Gee shut out the Rockies over 6 innings pitched, allowed 6 hits, walked just one, and fanned 5 before departing on the winning side of an eventual 5-1 Mets victory.
With the win, Dillon improved his record to 3-1, and reduced his ERA to a 2.51 mark. He threw 113 pitches, with 68 (60%) going for strikes. He faced 2 batters in the 7th inning, and 25 batters overall. If you’re curious, that averages to 4.52 pitches per batter.
The Rockies scored their lone run in the bottom of the ninth, on an inconsequential home run, and in a non-save situation, hit by Justin Morneau off reliever Jeurys Familia. Otherwise, the bullpen combined on the final 3 innings, allowed one earned run on 2 hits, walked none, and fanned 3 batters. Mets pitchers finally held Colorado under double digit hits for the first time in four games.
- Top 1st inning – Juan Lagares and Daniel Murphy led off the game with back to back singles. Curtis Granderson‘s one out single scored Lagares from second base.
- Top 3rd inning – Daniel Murphy drew a one out walk, and scored from first on David Wright‘s double. After Curtis Granderson walked, Chris Young doubled home David Wright to give the Mets a 3-0 lead.
- Top 4th inning – Juan Lagares connected on a two out double. Daniel Murphy followed with another double to score Lagares for a 4-0 Mets lead.
- Top 7th inning – Chris Young drew a two out walk, and scored on a double by Lucas Duda, for a 5-0 Mets lead.
- Juan Lagares continued his torrid hitting, going 3 for 5, and connecting on his 4th double of the series, and 7th of the season. Apparently, Coors Field agrees with him.
- All 5 Mets RBI were recorded by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th hitter in the line-up.
- The Mets were 3 for 12 (.250) with RiSP, and stranded 9 runners on base.
The Mets are headed to Miami for the final three games of this road trip.
5/5 – Monday, 7:10pm EST, Mets @ Marlins
Jon Niese (2-2) vs. Nate Eovaldi (2-1)