The Braves defeated the Mets at Citi Field Saturday night by the score of 7-5. Bartolo Colon started for the Mets and took the loss, dropping his record to 1-3, with a 5.40 ERA. Ervin Santana started for Atlanta and got credit for the win, improving his record to 2-0. Jordan Walden recorded his first save for the Braves.
The Braves took a 2-1 in the third, on a two-run single by Met-killer Freddie Freeman.
Atlanta expanded its lead to 3-1 in the fifth, when Freeman doubled in Jason Heyward.
The Mets scored twice in the bottom of the eighth, on a Chris Young single that plated Daniel Murphy. Then, Travis d’Arnaud singled in David Wright, and the Mets had cut the lead to 4-3. With runners on first and third and two outs, Terry Collins let Ruben Tejada hit, with both Josh Satin and Andrew Brown on the bench. Tejada weakly grounded out to end the inning.
Jose Valverde pitched the top of the ninth, and allowed a 3-run home run to Justin Upton. The Mets came to bat in ninth, trailing 7-3. They cut the lead to 7-5 on RBI hits by David Wright and Chris Young. Lucas Duda walked to load the bases, and Fredi Gonzalez removed his closer, Craig Kimbrel, in favor of Walden. Travis d’Arnaud grounded out to Andrelton Simmons to end the game, with the tying runs in scoring position, and the winning run on first.
- This one hurts for numerous reasons. Here are a few of them.
- The decision to let Tejada hit in the eighth with the tying run on third was a curious one. Tejada is hitting .184, and has been struggling badly.
- Jose Valverde is not impressing in the closer role. The add-on runs he allowed in the ninth cost the Mets the game. In his last outing in Arizona, he allowed two home runs in one inning of work.
- Curtis Granderson had a chance in the ninth, and struck out as the tying run. He’s now hitting .140.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka looked rusty in his one inning of work. The run he allowed on a wild pitch also proved costly to the Mets.
The Mets will look to avoid the sweep tomorrow, when Zack Wheeler takes the mound at 1:10 pm against the Braves.