Sunday in Las Vegas, a split squad Mets contingent took on the Cubs.
The Cubs got on the board immediately, when an RBI ground out to second base turned into a throwing error by Anthony Seratelli, allowing Chicago to take a 2-0 lead.
In the top of the third, Donnie Murphy hit a homer to left field to increase Chicago’s lead to 3-0.
In the top of the ninth, Arismendy Alcantara his a solo homer for the Cubs to put Chicago up 6-3 and close out the scoring.
- Jenrry Mejia got the start and allowed 3 runs (2 earned) in 2.1 innings pitched. He gave up 4 hits, walked 2 and struck out 1.
- Rafael Montero gave up 2 runs on 4 hits in 2.2 innings pitched. He walked 1 and struck out 1.
- Juan Lagares made 2 more shining plays in center field – a diving catch to rob a hit and a throw to nail a runner at the plate.
- Eric Young, Juan Lagares, David Wright, Curtis Granderson, and Travis d’Arnaud were all held hitless.
- Carlos Torres was sharp, allowing just 1 run on 3 hits in 3 innings pitched. He walked 1 and struck out 5.
The Mets take on the Marlins tomorrow at 1:05 PM.