Saturday in Las Vegas, a split squad Mets contingent took on the Cubs. Bartolo Colon got the start for the Mets – his second appearance of the spring.
In the hitters haven that is Cashman Field, the Mets broke through immediately. After Eric Young, Jr. singled and Juan Lagares doubled to open the top of the first, David Wright smoked a double off the right field wall to drive them both in and make it 2-0 Mets. Later in the frame, Andrew Brown ripped his own double off the right field wall to drive in Wright and put the Mets up 3-0.
The Mets got that run back in the top of the third, when Andrew Brown stroked an RBI single to make it 4-1.
In the bottom of the fourth, Anthony Rizzo hit his second homer of the game – a 2 run shot that drew the Cubs within 4-3. After Bartolo Colon departed the game with 2 outs in the bottom of the fifth, Ryan Reid relieved him and walked consecutive batters to force in the tying run.
The Mets jumped back ahead in the top of the eighth when Wilmer Flores hit a 2 run homer to left to make it 6-4 New York. Later in the inning, Eric Young, Jr. drilled an RBI double to right to give the Mets a 7-4 lead.
In the top of the ninth, the Mets expanded their lead when a Kirk Nieweunhuis RBI double and an Andrew Brown sacrifice fly made it 9-4.
Joel Carreno closed out the win for the Mets with a scoreless ninth.
- Bartolo Colon allowed 4 runs (1 that scored after he exited) on 7 hits in 4.2 innings. He walked 1 and struck out none.
- Eric Young, Jr. went 2 for 4 with a walk, run scored, and an RBI.
- Juan Lagares went 1 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored.
- David Wright went 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Andrew Brown went 2 for 3 with a walk, run scored, and 3 RBI’s.
- Wilmer Flores hit a go-ahead 2 run homer in the 8th. He went 1 for 5 overall.
- Travis d’Arnaud went 0 for 3.
- Cory Mazzoni struck out the side in the 7th.
- Bobby Parnell struck out 1 in a perfect 8th.
- Joel Carreno tossed a scoreless 9th to close the game out.
The Mets’ roster will be split up again tomorrow, and they’ll play two more games – 1:05 PM against the Cardinals in Jupiter, and 4:05 PM against the Cubs in Las Vegas.