In the top of the eighth, the Mets put up 4 runs to take a 5-2 lead. The runs came in on an RBI single, bases loaded walk, wild pitch, and sacrifice fly.
After Noah Syndergaard departed the bottom of the eighth with two runners on base, Jacob deGrom relieved him and served up a game tying 3 run home run to Brock Peterson to knot things at 5.
The Mets snatched the lead back in the top of the ninth, when Kirk Nieuwenhuis stroked a 2 run single to make it 7-5 New York.
Jacob deGrom remained on the mound for the bottom of the ninth, and shut the door to seal the victory.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka allowed 1 run on 3 hits in 3.2 innings. He walked none and struck out 4.
- Noah Syndergaard tossed 3.2 innings in what was likely his last Grapefruit League appearance. He allowed 3 runs (2 that scored after he left) on 2 hits, walked 2 and struck out 5.
- Ruben Tejada went 0 for 3 and made another fielding error. He’s hitting .067 this spring.
- David Wright went 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Travis d’Arnaud went 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Jacob deGrom appeared in relief and surrendered a 3 run homer (2 of the runs that scored were inherited)
The Mets travel to take on the Marlins tomorrow night. First pitch is 7:10 PM.