This morning in Port St. Lucie, the Mets played their first game of the spring – an intrasquad tilt that pitted the Blue team against the Orange team (Blue won 5-2).
Spring training results are meaningless for the most part, and today’s two lineups didn’t feature any position players who are likely to open the year with starting jobs in the big leagues. Here are the highlights anyway.
- Dillon Gee got the start for the Orange team and allowed 2 runs in 1.2 innings.
- Jenrry Mejia, in a “competition” for the fifth spot in the rotation, got the start for the Blue team and tossed 2 scoreless innings. He struck out 4, walked 2, and gave up 1 hit.
- Noah Syndergaard opened eyes while striking out 5 over his 2 innings of work. He allowed 4 hits and 1 run.
- Jeurys Familia, hoping to make the bullpen, allowed 1 hit and struck out 5 in 2 innings.
- Wilmer Flores played second base and went 0 for 3.
- Andrew Brown went 1 for 3 with a homer.
The Mets open their Grapefruit League schedule tomorrow afternoon at 1PM against the Nationals. The game will air on SNY.