To date, these are the New York Mets organizational players participating in the Caribbean Winter Leagues:
Venezuelan Professional Baseball League:
- Shorstop Wilfredo Tovar spent all of 2013 with Binghamton, and made his MLB debut late during the September call-ups. He’ll be playing for los Navegantes del Megallanes.
- Right-handed pitcher Miller Diaz, 21, was a Brooklyn Cyclones stand-out last season. In 66.2 innings, he posted a 7-3 record, and 2.02 ERA, with 87 strikeouts. He will pitch for los Leones del Caracas.
- Left-handed pitcher Justin Hampson, 33, is a 14-year minor league veteran. He pitched in 13 games for the Mets in 2012, and spent last season with Las Vegas. He’ll be pitching with los Tigres de Aragua.
- Right-handed pitcher Luis Rengel, 23, spent the last two seasons in Kingsport. Last year he went 3-1 in 15 relief appearances, and posted a 1.60 ERA in 33.2 innings pitched, with 38 strikeouts. He will be pitching for los Cardenales de Lara.
Mexican Pacific League:
- Catcher Xorge Carrillo, 24, played primarily with Binghamton last season, where he batted .296 in 108 at-bats, with 13 runs batted in. He is spending winter with los Aguilas de Mexicali.
- Shortstop Juan Carlos Gamboa, 22, spent the last two seasons in Brooklyn. He is light in every sense of the word. Juan is listed at 5’7″ and 157 lbs. In his last two seasons for the Cyclones, he batted .186 and .195 respectively. He is playing for los Caneros de los Mochis.
- Pitcher Octavio Acosta, 23, split time between the Gulf Coast Mets and Port St. Lucie. In a combined 52.2 innings, he allowed just 39 hits and struck out 50 batters, while posting an overall 2.91 ERA. He will pitch for los Algodoneros de Guasave.
- Pitcher Marcos Camarena, 23, spent most of 2013 with Savannah, where he made 17 appearances and 10 starts, posted a 5-4 record and 3.27 ERA. In 77 innings he allowed 81 hits and only struck out 39 batters. He will pitch for los Tomateros de Culiacan.
The following New York Mets organizational players are participating in the Arizona Fall League:
- 1B-3B – Aderlin Rodriguez, 21, batted .260 in 246 at-bats for PSL, with 9 home runs and 41 runs batted in. AFL – 5 for 23, .217 avg., 5 strikeouts.
- OF – Cory Vaughn, 24, batted .267 in 262 at-bats for Binghamton, with 10 home runs and 50 runs batted in. AFL – 7 for 29; .241 avg., 1 HR, 6 RBI, 2 triples.
- C – Cam Maron, 22, batted .235 in 285 at-bats, but posted a .327 OBP, with 13 doubles and 29 RBI for Port St.. Lucie. AFL – 3 for 16, 7 walks, 4 runs, only two strikeouts.
- RP – Chasen Bradford, 24, split time between PSL and Binghamton. He threw a combined 69 innings, posted a 9-3 record with a 2.61 ERA, allowed 64 hits and fanned 61 batters. AFL – 4.1 innings, 1 hit, no runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts.
- P – Jeurys Familia, 24, is continuing his comeback from mid-season surgery. He returned in time to make one last appearance in September for the Mets before being shut down as a precaution. Be sure to read Rising Apple’s Season In Review detailing Familia’s full 2013 campaign. AFL – 2 innings, 2 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 strikeouts, one HR allowed.
- SP – Hansel Robles, 23, took only a slight step backwards against improved competition following his gleaming 2012 campaign in Brooklyn. In 16 appearances and 15 starts for PSL, he posted a 5-4 record with a 3.72 ERA. In 84.2 innings he fanned 66, but walked 29 batters. AFL – 4 innings, 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts.
- RP – Cody Satterwhite, 26, split the 2013 season between Sioux City Explorers of the independent American Association and the Port St. Lucie Mets. He made 16 relief appearances for PSL, and posted a 2.78 ERA in 22.2 innings pitched with 23 strikeouts, but 13 walks. AFL – 4 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.