Near the conclusion of each season, the Mets recognize the best minor league performers in the system by naming them Sterling Award winners.
This year, the Mets named Allan Dykstra and Kevin Plawecki as their c0-minor league players of the year. Dykstra spent the year with AA Binghamton, and Plawecki split time between Low-A Savannah and A level St. Lucie.
The minor league pitcher of the year award was given to Gabriel Ynoa, who dominated Low-A Savannah this past season. In 135.2 innings pitched, Ynoa had a 2.72 ERA and 1.02 WHIP, to go along with 106 strikeouts and just 16 walks for the South Atlantic League Champion Sand Gnats.
The Mets also handed out a Sterling Award for the most outstanding player at each level. Those awards went to:
- RHP Rafael Montero (AAA Las Vegas)
- OF/3B Dustin Lawley (St Lucie, A)
- 1B Jayce Boyd (Low-A Savannah)
- RHP Robert Gsellman (Short-Season A, Brooklyn)
- RHP Rob Whalen (Rookie Level Kingsport)
- 1B Dominic Smith (Rookie Level Gulf Coast League)
A number of the Sterling Award winners (including Smith) will be on hand at Citi Field tonight to receive their awards prior to the game.
Topics: New York Mets