Ladies and gentlemen, here is today’s Top Ten list!
Today’s topic: Top Ten Other Justin Turner Positions
Before last night’s Mets-Nationals finale in Washington was washed out, Justin Turner was scheduled to lead off the game listed as New York’s left fielder. Terry Collins had worked out Le Grande Orange Jr. in the outfield over the offseason, and assuming he gets another chance this weekend against Miami, it will be Turner’s fifth different starting position of the season, as he has already appeared at every spot in the infield. Reactions on Facebook were mixed to this lineup, but as a longtime supporter of Mr. Turner, I was glad to see him get the chance and hope he does a great job in whatever position he is assigned to.
It’s not entirely unheard of for Mets to be this versatile – during his rookie season in 1986, Kevin Mitchell started at six different positions (left field, right field, shortstop, third base, center field, first base). Here now, we have ten more endeavors Justin Turner has undertaken for the Mets in his third season with the ball club. I’ll bet Mr. Mitchell never did any of these assorted odd jobs on the World Champions of that year.
Top Ten Other Justin Turner Positions
10. Ombudsman to the ombudsman
9. Home Run Apple mechanic
8. Dessert dog toppings tester
7. Wilpon family stockbroker
6. PR manager for Carly Rae Jepson
5. Undersecretary of Agriculture, Turf Testing
4. Official in charge of “oohs and ahhs” about Yasiel Puig (seriously, where did that guy come from?)
3. Civil War substitute
2. Sterling Equities VP of Whipped Cream
1. Head writer, Rising Apple Top Ten (wait, what?)
What other positions could you envision JT manning in the coming months? The comments section is yours.