News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- David Wright has been named the fourth team captain in Mets history, following Keith Hernandez, Gary Carter, and John Franco.
- This afternoon, Jonathon Niese was officially named the Opening Day starter by manager Terry Collins.
- Per Jorge Castillo of the Star-Ledger, both Justin Turner and Kirk Nieuwenhuis are scheduled to play in minor league games tomorrow.
- After appearing in a minor league game, Justin Turner (ankle) came over to the major league side to pinch hit for the Mets in the sixth inning of their game against St. Louis. Turner singled to right, and then went first to third on a single by Marlon Byrd. Turner didn’t appear restricted in any way.
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis (knee) is took part in a minor league game today in Port St. Lucie, going 1 for 2 with a double and 2 walks.
- Justin Turner (ankle) will take at bats in a minor league game today. He’s scheduled to return to Grapefruit League action tomorrow.
- Shaun Marcum, who recently received a cortisone shot in his shoulder, told the beat writers he expects to be ready for the start of the season. Marcum told Jorge Castillo of the Star-Ledger that he expects to throw between 80 and 85 pitches during his next start (which will likely be 3/25 or 3/26).
- The Mets host the Cardinals this afternoon in Port St. Lucie at 1:10 PM. The game will air on SNY. Here’s the Mets’ lineup:
- Marlon Byrd, RF
- Ruben Tejada, SS
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Zach Lutz, 3B
- Lucas Duda, LF
- John Buck, C
- Matt den Dekker, CF
- Omar Quintanilla, SS
- Jeremy Hefner, RHP
Tags: New York Mets