News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Regarding who would fill in if Johan Santana isn’t ready to break camp, Sandy Alderson implied that either Collin McHugh, Jenrry Mejia, or Jeremy Henfer would be the choice.
- Speaking with Mike Francesa, Sandy Alderson hedged regarding whether or not Marlon Byrd has shown him he deserves to make the team. Asked by Francesa whether he’s seen enough out of Byrd to justify breaking camp, Alderson said no. He added that line of thinking applies to all of the outfielders in camp.
- Per Sandy Alderson, Lucas Duda‘s short departure from camp today was due to a “small medical issue.” Alderson noted that the issue wouldn’t affect Duda on the field.
- While the Mets are on SNY today, Mike Francesa will be broadcasting live from Port St. Lucie. He’ll be there from 1 PM to 6:30 PM. The show can be heard on WFAN 660 AM and 101.9 FM. It can be seen on YES from 4 PM to 6:30 PM. Francesa will have interviews with a host of Mets players.
- Daniel Murphy, who has been sidelined with an intercostal strain, is scheduled to hit off a tee today. If he continues to progress, he could return to game action next week.
- In today’s edition of “everyone flip out for no reason,” Lucas Duda was in the original lineup but has since been replaced by Matt den Dekker. Initially, someone with the Mets told Adam Rubin that Duda had “an appointment.” A few minutes later, Terry Collins told Rubin that Duda may still play.
- After today’s game, David Wright will be heading to Arizona to prepare for the World Baseball Classic. The first game for team USA is a week from today.
- Pitching coach Dan Warthen says Pedro Feliciano, who was recently cleared to resume baseball activity, is expected to throw from the mound today. Johan Santana is expected to long toss.
- The Mets host the defending American League champion Detroit Tigers this afternoon in Port St. Lucie. The game starts at 1:10 PM and can be seen on SNY. Here’s today’s lineup:
- Jordany Valdespin, DH
- Ruben Tejada, SS
- David Wright, 3B
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Marlon Byrd, RF
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis, LF
- John Buck, C
- Justin Turner, 2B
- Matt den Dekker, CF
Topics: New York Mets