News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Terry Collins estimates that Daniel Murphy is “7 to 10″ days away from retuning to the lineup. Murphy, who has been sidelined with an intercostal injury, will likely be cleared to swing a bat in the coming days.
- RHP Dillon Gee will be a guest on WFAN at 12:15 PM.
- RHP Zack Wheeler has been scratched from today’s start due to an oblique injury he suffered while batting in the cage. Darin Gorski will take his place. Sandy Alderson confirmed that Wheeler suffered a “mild” oblique strain in his right side, threw afterwards, and felt fine. Being that it’s spring training, it would be foolish if the Mets had done anything other than scratch him.
- According to Adam Rubin, the schedule for Johan Santana is as follows: Another long toss session today, throwing from the mound Friday, and facing hitters Tuesday, March 5th. Rubin says the plan calls for Santana to make his Grapefruit League debut either March 10th or March 11th. If that happens, he’d be able to make four starts before opening day at Citi Field on April 1st.
- Per Adam Rubin, RHP Frank Francisco is again throwing from flat ground. The goal this morning is 70 feet.
- LaTroy Hawkins has yet to appear in an official game for the Mets this spring. He was on the travel roster for yesterday’s game in Jupiter, but was removed. The Mets said Hawkins will be long-tossing for the next week or so, but this bears watching.
- As noted below, both Ruben Tejada (quad) and Lucas Duda (stance adjustment) are back in the lineup for the Mets.
- The Mets host the Cardinals this afternoon at 1:10 PM. The game can be seen on SNY. Here’s the lineup:
- Mike Baxter, DH
- Ruben Tejada, SS
- David Wright, 3B
- Ike Davis, 1B
- Marlon Byrd, RF
- Lucas Duda, LF
- Justin Turner, 2B
- John Buck, C
- Matt den Dekker, CF
Topics: New York Mets