News and notes will be emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (newest at the top)…
- Adam Rubin quotes a source who says the Mets are likely to listen to trade offers for Justin Turner during spring training. Rubin notes that if the Mets dealt Turner, they’d be able to carry both Brandon Hicks and Omar Quintanilla. Not that Turner is untouchable, but I’d much rather have one of Hicks/Quintanilla and Turner, who offers more versatility than both of them. Rubin notes at the end of the article that Turner may end up on the opening day roster. So, this is simply chatter at this point.
- Per the Mets, here are the pitchers who are scheduled to appear in the first three grapefruit league games and in an exhibition game against Michigan- 2/23 vs Washington: Shaun Marcum, Zack Wheeler, Cory Mazzoni, Darin Gorski, Jeurys Familia, Bobby Parnell. 2/24 vs the University of Michigan: Jonathon Niese, Dillon Gee, Brandon Lyon, Hansel Robles, Rafael Montero, Carlos Torres. 2/24 @ Houston: Matt Harvey, Jeremy Hefner, Aaron Laffey, Pedro Feliciano, Scott Atchison, Josh Edgin. 2/25 vs Washington: Collin McHugh, Gonzalez Germen, Elvin Ramirez, Greg Burke, LaTroy Hawkins, Robert Carson, Scott Rice.
- Sandy Alderson told Adam Rubin that pitcher Jenrry Mejia (who has yet to arrive at camp because of a visa issue), may be able to report to camp soon. It’s possible that Mejia could receive a visa before the investigation into his age and identity (which has been reported as random) is complete. Mejia is currently working out at the Mets’ academy in the Dominican Republic.
- Terry Collins told reporters he’d like to start the process of officially naming David Wright the team’s captain. Whether that involves a “C” getting stitched onto his jersey remains to be seen.
- Sandy Alderson has announced that Daniel Murphy is dealing with discomfort in his intercostal muscle, and will be sidelined for a bit. Read more here.
- Per Adam Rubin, it’s anticipated that later today, Sandy Alderson will officially state that Johan Santana will not be participating in the World Baseball Classic. This has seemed like a foregone conclusion for a while, but it’ll be nice to hear it cemented.
- Manager Terry Collins formally addressed the team before today’s workout. Here’s a picture from the Mets.
- On Friday, the Mets will play an intrasquad game. The scheduled pitchers are Gonzalez Germen, LaTroy Hawkins, Scott Rice, Collin McHugh, Elvin Ramirez, Greg Burke, Robert Carson, Brandon Lyon, and Pedro Feliciano.
- In Newsday, Anthony Rieber wrote a tremendous profile of Mets catcher Travis d’Arnaud. Check it out here.
- According to the beat writers, the Mets have re-signed left handed reliever Justin Hampson. The news was first broken by mets farm report on Twitter. Adam Rubin noted that Hampson will report directly to minor league camp.
Tags: New York Mets