Today is the official reporting date for Mets pitchers and catchers. There will be tidbits from camp emerging throughout the day. This post will be updated as new pieces of information come in (scroll down for the newest updates)…
- Daniel Murphy has arrived at camp.
- For those who have been clamoring for information on the numbers the players would be wearing this year, Adam Rubin grants your wish here. Some highlights – Collin Cowgill, who has been lauded by Sandy Alderson for his down and dirty style, will wear Lenny Dykstra‘s old number 4. Travis d’Arnaud will wear 15. New reliever LaTroy Hawkins will wear number 30, while Brandon Lyon was assigned 34. Newly acquired Shaun Marcum will wear 38. Top pitching prospect Zack Wheeler was assigned number 65.
- Per Adam Rubin, the Mets aren’t expecting Johan Santana to arrive at camp today. Rubin notes that the first official workout day isn’t until Wednesday.
- Kevin Kernan of the New York Post spoke to Mets second base prospect Reese Havens about his quest to remedy his back issues. Havens is a candidate to be dropped from the 40 man roster.
- Here’s a picture of the Mets getting ready for today’s workout, courtesy of the Mets.
- Adam Rubin says that Sandy Koufax won’t be making an appearance at Mets spring training this year. Koufax has been a familiar sight in years past, but has been hired by the Los Angeles Dodgers as a special assistant.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe tweeted that the executive counsel for the MLBPA has been in touch with the league on behalf of the Mets regarding the draft pick issue as it pertains to Michael Bourn.
- According to the beat writers on Twitter, rehabbing left handed reliever Tim Byrdak has set July 1st as his target date for his return to the majors.