Sept 16, 2012; Milwaukee, WI, USA; New York Mets first baseman Ike Davis (29) during the game against the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-US PRESSWIRE

Ike Davis Will Not be Traded; Mets Think Dickey Would Sign 2-year Extension

We can quit talking about hypothetically trading away Ike Davis for prospects. We heard earlier in the week from club sources that it would be hard to trade the first baseman because of his inability to hit left handed pitching in 2012 (.174/.225/.335). However, after the report broke toward the end of the season that New York would entertain the thought of dealing their biggest power threat, Sandy Alderson quickly squashed those rumors by saying he would find it very hard to deal away 30-home run potential on a team that is already starving for power.

I don’t necessarily understand why it took this long for any of these possibilities to be put to bed; Sandy said it himself in late-September! It would make sense for New York to consider moving Lucas Duda to first base and attempt to deal Davis since he has the potential of bringing back a lot of return, but the Mets are a better team with him in the middle of the order and standing at first base. Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog said he could see Sandy deal away R.A. Dickey, Duda, or Jonathon Niese instead of Ike because that would give them the opportunity to hold onto those 32 homers from 2012, while strengthening their lineup with a young, outfield bat, hopefully making the Amazins more of a power-hitting team.

Like most, I was surprised to hear of that initial report toward the end of the season; I felt that him, along with Ruben Tejada and David Wright, are the offensive cornerstones of this team moving forward. The front office should be building around players like Davis, not trading him away. I’m happy to hear that’s the plan. That doesn’t mean they won’t listen to what interested trade partners have to offer, but it’s clear they’d have to be blown away to give up someone with the offensive prowess of Ike.

With each day that passes, there seem to be more and more contrasting reports regarding R.A. Dickey’s asking price. A Mets source told Andy Martino of the New York Daily News the organization feels they can sign the knuckler to a deal within the two-year/$20-30 million range instead of the four- or five-year extension worth around $50 million he’s been rumored to want, which has been spreading around the GM Meetings like wild fire.

Despite these conflicting reports, it will be hard for us to truly know which rumor holds more truth, especially since we know the two sides haven’t gotten very deep into negotiations and discussing dollars and cents. So, who the heck knows how much Dickey’s representation will be coming to the table asking, but all we do know is that Dickey is convinced the Mets are headed in the right direction, saying Alderson “convinced” him and he wants to be a part of the solution. Knowing that, I would make the assumption he may be more apt to signing a more franchise-friendly deal than anyone thinks.

But, that’s just my speculation for now.

Next Mets Game View full schedule »
Sunday, Sep 2121 Sep1:35at Atlanta BravesBuy Tickets

Tags: Ike Davis New York Mets R.A. Dickey

comments powered by Disqus