No Carlos Beltran? No problem. On a night where everything easily could’ve gone wrong for the Amazins, they did just about everything right. The Mets scored eight runs for the second consecutive night, which was more than enough for starter Mike Pelfrey, who only yielded two runs on seven hits in his second complete game of the season. Angel Pagan, starting again after missing a couple of games with dehydration, got the scoring going early with a two-run double in the top of the first. Joey Votto cut the lead in half with a solo homer in the fourth, but the Mets promptly responded with two runs in the fifth. Lucas Duda hit a laser-like solo bomb in the sixth, and David Wright smacked a three run homer in the seventh to bust the game open. The Mets are now 53-51 and will go for the series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
METS GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mike Pelfrey went the distance for the second time this season, allowing two earned runs on seven hits while walking none and fanning three. Big Pelf also 14 ground ball outs against 7 fly outs, although he did allow his 19th long ball of the season. Pelfrey also recorded his second hit of the season.
- David Wright went 2-4 with a home run, sacrifice fly, two runs scored and four RBI. His batting line is now up to .259/.348/.460 on the season, and he is 12-28 with 11 RBI since returning from the disabled list. With Beltran gone, the Mets will need Wright to continue hitting like this.
- Daniel Murphy continued to hit, going 4-5 with two doubles, one run scored and one RBI. The four hit game was the first of Murph’s career, and he is now third in the National League in batting average and tied for second in doubles.
- Lucas Duda went 1-3 with a homer, his second of the season, and a walk. After falling behind 1-2, Duda fouled off three pitches before hitting a frozen rope over the right field wall. The new everyday right fielder has upped his batting line to .276/.350/.455
- Prior to tonight’s start, Reds starter Bronson Arroyo had a 7-2 record against the Mets with a 3.31 ERA and 1.029 WHIP
Topics: Amazins, Angel Pagan, Beltran Traded, Beltran Traded To Giants, Big Pelf, Bronson Arroyo, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Beltran Traded, David Wright, Duda Home Run, Jose Reyes, Lucas Duda, Matt Kaufman, Mets, Mets Beat Reds, Mets Defeat Reds, Mets Game Highlights, Mets Game Preview, Mets Game Recap, Mets Highlights, Mets Win, Mike Pelfrey, New York, New York Mets, New York Mets Game Highlights, New York Mets Game Recap, New York Mets Highlights, Rising Apple, Wright Home Run Vs. Reds, Wright Homer