The Mets saw Jose Reyes come back last week, and finally last night, it was David Wright‘s turn after being on the DL since May 15. Wright didn’t waste much time in Game 1 versus the Marlins, smacking two doubles, and collecting two RBI. Mets starter Mike Pelfrey didn’t pitch particularly well, hurling six innings, giving-up five hits, four earned-runs, four walks, and three strikeouts, but the bats provided just enough offense for the Mets to pull out the win. Bobby Parnell picked up the win after 1.3 scoreless innings, and Jason Isringhausen shut the door for save number two.
It all went down hill after Game 1, however. The Mets were leading Game 2 until the sixth inning, when Mets starter Chris Capuano unraveled. Capuano didn’t allow a run until the sixth inning rolled around, but let-up four runs on four hits–including homeruns to Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison. It only got worse from there. The Marlins scored three runs in the seventh off D.J. Carrasco, and another one against Ryota Igarashi in the eighth. Even though the Mets had been winning for the first five innings, the fish ended up with the win by the final score of 8-5.
Similar to Game 2, Game 3 was too in arm’s reach. Despite being down 3-1 for most of the game, the Mets came roaring back, scoring three runs between the sixth and seventh inning, mostly thanks to a two-run David Wright homerun (his first since coming off the disabled list). But the Marlins weren’t done. After Manny Acosta threw two scoreless innings, Bobby Parnell let the flood gates open. Parnell let-up two runs on three hits, including a solo shot by Logan Morrison. The Marlins won the third and final game, 5-4.
METS GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 7-6):
- Mike Pelfrey pitched six innings, giving-up five hits, four earned-runs, four walks, and three strikeouts. He did not factor into the decision.
- Jason Isringhausen notched his second save of 2011, and number 295 in his career.
- David Wright went 2-5 with two doubles, two RBI, and two runs-scored. He also had a throwing error.
- Dan Murphy went 2-4 with a double, walk, run, and two RBI.
- Lucas Duda started in left field for Jason Bay, and went 2-3.
- Justin Turner went 1-4 with two walks, and two runs-scored.
METS GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS (Marlins Win, 8-5):
- Chris Capuano was saddled with his loss number ten after hurling six innings, while giving-up six hits, four earned-runs, three walks, and six strikeouts.
- Jose Reyes went 3-5 with a homerun, stolen base, RBI, and three runs.
- Justin Turner went 3-4 with two doubles, a walk, and a run-scored.
- Carlos Beltran hit a single and drew three walks.
- Lucas Duda hit a pinch-hit homerun.
METS GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS (Marlins Win, 5-4):
- Dillon Gee was mediocre through five innings. Gee surrendered seven hits, three earned-runs, three walks, and three strikeouts. He did not factor into the decision.
- Jose Reyes made his eleventh error of 2011 on a routine groundball.
- David Wright did most of the heavy-lifting, smacking a double and two-run homerun. Wright has posted a .429/.429/.857 line with four extra-base hits (including a homerun), six RBI, and 4 runs since coming off the DL on July 22.
Tags: Ben Berkon Carlos Beltran Rumors Chris Capuano David Wright Dillon Gee Florida Florida Marlins Jose Reyes Marlins Mets Mets Game 1 Highlights Mets Game 1 Recap Mets Game 2 Highlights Mets Game 2 Recap Mets Game 3 Highlights Mets Game 3 Recap Mets Game Highlights Mets Game Recap Mets Highlights Mets Marlins Mets Marlins Highlights Mets Marlins Recap Mets Marlins Series Mets Marlins Series Highlights Mets Marlins Series Recap Mets Recap Mets Series Highlights Mets Series Recap Mike Pelfrey New York New York Mets New York Mets Florida Marlins New York Mets Florida Marlins Game Highlights New York Mets Florida Marlins Game Recap New York Mets Florida Marlins Highlights New York Mets Florida Marlins Recap New York Mets Florida Marlins Series Highlights New York Mets Florida Marlins Series Recap New York Mets Game 1 Highlights New York Mets Game 1 Recap New York Mets Game 2 Highlights New York Mets Game 2 Recap New York Mets Game 3 Highlights New York Mets Game 3 Recap New York Mets Game Highlights New York Mets Game Recap New York Mets Highlights New York Mets Recap New York Mets Series Highlights New York Mets Series Recap Rising Apple