The Mets were dealt a difficult hand out of the All-Star break, taking on the Philadelphia Phillies in a three-game series. A still Jose Reyes-less Mets team was unfortunately no match for the roaring Phillies.
Bad defense would plague the Mets all series long, and game one was no different. R.A. Dickey pitched a solid game, hurling seven innings, giving-up seven hits, four earned-runs, two walks, and five strikeouts. Despite being down just three runs in the seventh, an [unofficial] error by Justin Turner and an official one by Ruben Tejada in the eight put the Phillies another three runs ahead of the Mets. That proved to be the nail in the coffin, as the Phils won 7-2. Carlos Beltran did the most damage on the Mets offense, going 1-2 with a homerun, RBI, two walks, and two runs-scored.
The Mets offense was completely different in game two. Despite only chipping-away two runs the game before, Mets hitters collected a whopping eleven runs–seven of which against Cole Hamels. Scott Hairston filled-in for the ailing Carlos Beltran, and did his best impression of Beltran to boot. Hairston went 3-5 with a three-run jack, two doubles, five RBI, and two runs-scored. Jonathon Niese didn’t need all eleven runs for support, given that he hurled a seven inning gem. Niese limited the Phillies to just six hits, one earned-run, one walk, and six strikeouts. The Mets took game two from the Phillies, 11-2.
Game three was the closest actual “game” of the series. The Phillies took an early 4-0 lead, but the Mets offense came alive later-on. The Mets recorded five extra-base hits, and collected five runs in the last three innings, but the Phillies didn’t let up, scoring four runs themselves during that stint. Mike Pelfrey looked shaky through five innings, surrendering six hits, four earned-runs, one walk, and two strikeouts, and the bullpen didn’t help much either (five hits, four runs, and four walks in four innings). The Mets dropped the last game of the series by the score of 8-5.
The New York Mets are now 47-47 after dropping two games to the Phillies.
METS GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- R.A. Dickey pitched seven innings, giving-up six hits, four earned-runs, two walks, and five strikeouts. It was Dickey’s eight loss of the season.
- Tim Byrdak surrendered three runs, all of which were unearned.
- Carlos Beltran was the loudest Mets bat. He went 1-2 with a homerun, two RBI, two runs-scored, and two walks.
- Dan Murphy smacked his twentieth double of the season.
METS GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Jonathon Niese posted his ninth win after hurling seven innings, while surrendering just six hits, one earned runs, one walk, and six strikeouts.
- Bobby Parnell looked closer-esq, striking-out two batters in an inning of work (in the eight, so no save yet).
- Justin Turner went 2-4 with two runs-scored, an RBI, and a walk.
- Scott Hairston led the charge with a three-run homerun, two doubles, five RBI, and two runs-scored.
- Dan Murphy smacked his sixth homerun, and collected two singles too. He also had two RBI and a run-scored.
- Jason Bay went 2-4 with a walk, run-scored, and his ninth stolen base.
- Nick Evans, who started at first base, went 1-4 with a triple, RBI, walk, and two runs-scored.
- Ruben Tejada had two fielding errors.
METS GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Mike Pelfrey hurled five innings, giving-up six hits, four earned-runs, one walk, and two strikeouts. He is now 5-9 on the season.
- Pedro Beato surrendered three walks and three un-earned runs in 2/3 an inning.
- Willie Harris started in right field, and went 2-4 with a walk and run-scored.
- Dan Murphy upped his seasonal average to .315 with two hits, including his twenty-first double. He also drew two walks, and scored twice.
- Ronny Paulino went 2-5 with a double, RBI, and two runs-scored.
- Jason Bay made a key fielding error. It was just his second error of the season.
Topics: Ben Berkon, Mets, Mets Game 1 Highlights, Mets Game 1 Recap, Mets Game 2 Highlights, Mets Game 2 Recap, Mets Game 3 Highlights, Mets Game 3 Recap, Mets Game Highlights, Mets Game Recap, Mets Highlights, Mets Phillies, Mets Phillies Series, Mets Phillies Series Highlights, Mets Phillies Series Recap, Mets Recap, Mets Series Highlights, Mets Series Recap, New York, New York Mets, New York Mets Game 1 Highlights, New York Mets Game 1 Recap, New York Mets Game 2 Highlights, New York Mets Game 2 Recap, New York Mets Game 3 Highlights, New York Mets Game 3 Recap, New York Mets Game Highlights, New York Mets Game Recap, New York Mets Highlights, New York Mets Philadelphia Phillies, New York Mets Philadelphia Phillies Series, New York Mets Philadelphia Phillies Series Highlights, New York Mets Philadelphia Phillies Series Recap, New York Mets Recap, New York Mets Series Highlights, New York Mets Series Recap, Rising Apple