It was an ugly one in Flushing tonight. Initially, Chris Capuano was un-scored upon through six innings, however, the pitcher surrendered five earned-runs without recording an out in the seventh. Stats don’t say it all, though. Capuano did not get much help from third base umpire, Doug Eddings, who made a questionable “safe” call on a force-play. In addition, Angel Pagan‘s non-out on a catchable line-drive and Carlos Beltran‘s bobble on a routine grounder were other factors in keeping the inning alive.
Reliever Pedro Beato also couldn’t stop the bleeding, allowing three of Cappy’s runs to score, as well as three of his own in the eighth inning. Despite two early runs generated by the Mets offense, they were only able to score one more (off a Justin Turner homerun) after the Pirates damage. The Mets loss drops them five games below the .500 clip.
METS GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
- Chris Capuano gave-up eight hits, five earned-runs, one walk, while striking-out two batters in six innings. All of his run were allowed in the seventh inning (he did not record an out).
- Pedro Beato surrendered three earned-runs off three hits and one walk in one very ineffective total inning. Since coming off the disabled list, Beato has posted a dismal 12.15 ERA, 2.25 WHIP, and 1.00 K/BB. While his recent string of lackluster performances certainly merits a demotion, the Rule 5 pick would have to be offered back to the Baltimore Orioles first–a situation the Mets might not want to do.
- Dale Thayer quietly pitched two scoreless innings, allowing just one hit and no runs.
- Angel Pagan made a key missed-catch, a play that would have surely been ruled an error if the Mets had not been playing at home. Pagan singled, drew a walk, and was also caught-stealing.
- Justin Turner hit his second homerun of the season.
- Carlos Beltran went 2-4 with a double, and run-scored, but also bobbled a groundball, which resulted in a Pirate run.
- Dan Murphy started a first base, and went 2-4 with two singles, and a run-scored.
- Ruben Tejada collected two RBI off a single. He went 2-4.
Tags: Angel Pagan Ben Berkon Capuano Carlos Beltran Chris Capuano Dale Thayer Justin Turner Mets Mets Game 3 Highlights Mets Game 3 Recap Mets Game Highlights Mets Game Recap Mets Highlights Mets Pirates Mets Pirates Game 3 Highlights Mets Pirates Game 3 Recap Mets Pirates Game Highlights Mets Pirates Game Recap Mets Pirates Highlights Mets Pirates Recap Mets Recap Mets Series Highlights Mets Series Recap New York New York Mets New York Mets Game 3 Highlights New York Mets Game 3 Recap New York Mets Game Highlights New York Mets Game Recap New York Mets Highlights New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Game 3 Highlights New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Game 3 Recap New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Game Highlights New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Game Recap New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Highlights New York Mets Pittsburgh Pirates Recap New York Mets Recap New York Mets Series Highlights New York Mets Series Recap Pedro Beato Pirates Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Pirates Rising Apple