Rising Apple analyzed and uncovered a plethora of great New York Mets-related material last week. In case you missed it, enjoy a condensed round-up of all the hard work from writers Ben Berkon, Matt Kaufman, Aaron Leibowitz, and Michael Rosenbloom.
Injuries, Recaps, News
- As if the Mets needed another injury, they lost slugger David Wright to a stress fracture in his back. Nick Evans took his place on the roster.
- There were a flurry of both Major League and Minor League transactions over the past week.
- Despite the injury to David Wright, the rest of the crew picked up the slack in their mini-series with the Nationals, but unfortunately, couldn’t take more than a game against their cross-town rivals.
- The Mets nation received shocking news about legendary catcher, Gary Carter, who was diagnosed with having several brain tumors. Our thoughts are with the Carter family.
A Deeper Look
- With the Mets Triple-A team looking a bit thin in the rotation, Kaufman wondered if veteran reliever D.J. Carrasco’s future is as a starter.
- David Wright’s injury certainly isn’t a positive note, but Berkon pointed out that it does finally give Justin Turner his turn.
- Rosenbloom felt it was necessary to evaluate the team now that they’re 41 games into the season (aka ¼ of the season).
- There have been some bright surprises for the Mets (i.e. Pedro Beato and Jason Isringhausen), but Leibowitz discusses how most Spring Training picks have not worked out (and are paying the price).
- David Wright’s injury had most fans worrying about who will play third base now, but Kaufman looked even further ahead.
- After seeing most ineffective players get the boot, Berkon questioned why Scott Hairston still owns a roster spot.
- The Mets have a lot of exciting youngsters, but Kaufman makes a good point about how prospect Cory Vaughn needs a promotion.
- To preview the Subway Series, Kaufman looked back at all the players who enjoyed success in both Mets and Yankees jerseys.
Tags: Aaron Leibowitz Ben Berkon Brain Tumors D.J. Carrasco David Wright Injury Gary Carter Justin Turner Matt Kaufman Mets Michael Rosenbloom New York New York Mets Nick Evans Rising Apple Rising Apple Weekly Roundup Roundup Scott Hairston Subway Series Weekly Roundup