Rising Apple analyzed and uncovered a plethora of great New York Mets-related material last week. In case you missed it, enjoy a condensed round-up of all the hard work from writers Ben Berkon, Matt Kaufman, Aaron Leibowitz, Michael Rosenbloom, and Rob Bonanni.
Injuries, Recaps, News
- The Mets officially lost Chris Young this season with a torn pitching shoulder.
- In addition to Young, the Mets too lost young slugger Ike Davis (just to the 15-day DL). Due to the injury, the Mets called up long-time prospect, Fernando Martinez.
- The New York Mets fared well against the Rockies and Astros, taking two games from each. The Mets will hopefully use that much-needed momentum.
- Jeurys Familia impressed in his first Double-A start, which was nice considering the recent injury to Jenrry Mejia.
A Deeper Look
- After seeing Chris Young go down officially, Berkon wondered, “What If Another Starting Pitcher Gets Injured…” Similarly, Rosenbloom looked at outside-the-organization options.
- With all the hoopla surrounding what kind of return Reyes, Wright, and Beltran could get (unlike Francisco Rodriguez), Berkon asserted that you could also add the unlikely Taylor Buccholz to that list.
- Before the season, Jason Pridie was just Triple-A fodder, but Kaufman assessed what the journeyman outfielder brings to the table.
- The guy might be old, but Bonnani claimed that Ralph Kiner is still on point.
- Most of the farm-focus has been on Jenrry Mejia, but Rosenbloom analyzed some of the other future “bright” hopefuls. Speaking of young talent, Bonnani suggested that the recently called-up Fernando Martinez needs quality playing time.
- The Mets will soon get stud-reliever Pedro Beato back, but Kaufman points out that it will create a roster crunch, and someone in the bullpen will have to go.
- Despite Mets starter R.A. Dickey being a major disappointment so far in 2011, Berkon presents the good and bad news as he sees it.
Tags: Aaron Leibowitz Ben Berkon Carlos Beltran Chris Young Davis Wright Fernando Martinez Francisco Rodriguez Ike Davis Jason Pridie Jenrry Mejia Jeurys Familia Jose Reyes Matt Kaufman Mets Michael Rosenbloom New York New York Mets R.A. Dickey Ralph Kiner Rising Apple Rising Apple Weekly Roundup Rob Bonanni Taylor Buccholz Weekly Roundup