The Mets dropped the first two games in the series against the reigning champion Giants, but neither loss was a bad one. The Mets came within inches of winning game one, but failed to capitalized on a few offensive opportunities. R.A. Dickey’s poor outing didn’t help things (even he admitted fault). Game two was a different animal, as the Mets faced a worthy competitor–Tim Lincecum. Lincecum shut-down and shut-out the Mets, striking out twelve batters, while only giving-up five hits. However, to avoid the sweep, the Mets fought tooth-and-nail in the final contest, leaning on Carlos Beltran’s glorious bat. The veteran delivered a two-run home-run in the fifth inning solidifying the Mets lead, and eventual win.
METS GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS (Giants Win, 7-6)
- R.A. Dickey pitched six innings, surrendering seven hits, six earned-runs, one walk, and one strike-out. He got the no-decision.
- Jose Reyes was perfect at the plate, going 3-3 with three walks. Reyes also smacked a double and stole his eleventh base.
- Carlos Beltran hit his fourth home-run and tenth double of the season. Beltran also knocked-in three RBI.
- Ike Davis continued his mean-streak, hitting his sixth home-run.
- Josh Thole went 3-5, but had a lot of trouble catching R.A. Dickey.
- Taylor Buchholz gave-up a home-run to Aubrey Huff in the tenth inning, and was tagged with the loss.
METS GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS (Giants Win, 2-0):
- Dan Murphy hit his seventh double of the season.
- David Wright recorded a walk and his seventh stolen base.
- Carlos Beltran collected two hits against Lincecum, including his eleventh double.
- Ronny Paulino got the start over Josh Thole, and responded with two hits.
- Chris Capuano pitched a solid 6.3 innings, giving up two earned-runs on eight hits, three walks, while striking out five batters. He took the loss, and is now 2-3 on the season.
METS GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 5-2):
- Mike Pelfrey pitched 7.6 innings, giving up just four hits, one earned-run, two walks, while striking out five batters. It was his second win of the season.
- Jason Bay returned in fine fashion, going 1-3 with a walk, double, and run-scored.
- Jose Reyes hit his third triple of the season, while collected two RBI.
- Carlos Beltran put the game away in the fifth inning with a two-run home-run. It was his fifth of the season.
- David Wright upped his stole base total to eight, and also collected a hit and a walk.
- Francisco Rodriguez got the plus-inning save, though he did surrender a hit and two walks before notching his seventh slammed door.
Tags: Ben Berkon Carlos Beltran Chris Capuano Mets Mets Giants Mets Giants Series Highlights Mets Giants Series Recap Mets Series Highlights Mets Series Recap Mike Pelfrey New York New York Mets New York Mets San Francisco Giants New York Mets San Francisco Giants Series Highlights New York Mets San Francisco Giants Series Recap New York Mets Series Highlights New York Mets Series Recap R.A. Dickey Rising Apple Tim Lincecum