The Mets couldn’t muster their second sweep in a row, but they at least won the first two games of the series. The two wins extended the now-dead winning streak to six games, and while they’re still in the cellar of the NL East, they’re no longer the “worst team” in baseball. More importantly, unlike Mets teams of years past, the 2011 New York Mets are at least winning games they should be winning.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 6-4):
- Dan Murphy went 2-4 with a double, and run scored.
- Jason Bay went 2-4 with two runs scored.
- Ike Davis continued his offensive burst with a three-hit day, including his seventh double. He also had two runs scored.
- Josh Thole [hopefully] broke-out of his slump, smacking a three-RBI double.
- Chris Young returned from the disabled list, and pitched 4.6 innings, while surrendering four hits, three earned-runs, two walks, and three strike-outs. If he had pitched just .3 innings more, he would have recorded the win (Ryota Igarashi got the vulture win).
- Taylor Buchholz lowered his ERA to 1.38 with two scoreless innings. He also struck-out two batters.
- Francisco Rodriguez pitched a scoreless inning and notched his fifth save of the season.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS (Mets Win, 6-3):
- Dan Murphy went 2-2 with a home-run, two-RBI double, and a run scored.
- Jason Bay went 2-4 with a run scored.
- Ike Davis also went 2-4 with a run scored.
- R.A. Dickey pitched 6.6 innings, giving up eight hits, two earned-runs, one walk, and three strikeouts.
- Pedro Beato got the win, and has still yet to surrender a run this season.
- Francisco Rodriguez pitched a scoreless inning, and notched his sixth save of the year.
GAME 3 HIGHLIGHTS (Nationals Win, 4-3):
- Chris Capuano pitched 5.6 innings, giving up ten hits, four earned-runs, zero walks, and two strikeouts. His ERA is now at 6.04.
- Pedro Beato is still scoreless on the season (fourteen innings).
- Jose Reyes went 2-3 with a RBI, double, run scored, and no outbursts.
- David Wright knocked in a RBI on a ground-out.
- Ike Davis went 2-4, with a double, RBI, and run scored. Davis now has nineteen RBI on the season.
- Josh Thole seems to be out of his slump, smacking three base hits.
- Chin-lung Hu stole his first base of the season.
Tags: Ben Berkon Mets Mets Nationals Mets Nationals Series Highlights Mets Nationals Series Recap Mets Nats Mets Nats Series Highlights Mets Nats Series Recap Mets Series Highlights Mets Series Recap New York New York Mets New York Mets Washington Nationals New York Mets Washington Nationals Series Highlights New York Mets Washington Nationals Series Recap Rising Apple