Unlike Game 1, the second game of the series was very much in reach for the Mets. Even though the Mets were trailing by one run in the bottom of the ninth, Jose Reyes leadoff the inning with a single, seemingly starting a late rally for the Amazins’.
Manager Terry Collins gave the next batter, Josh Thole, the bunt sign–however, Thole laid down a horrendous attempt, lining out to the pitcher Brandon Lyon, who easily tossed it over to first base to complete the double-play. Instead of coming to bat with Jose Reyes on second and one out, David Wright stepped to the plate with two outs. Wright flied out to deep right field to end yet another discouraging and pathetic New York Mets loss (dropping them to 5-13 on the season).
I’m sure many fans will blame Collins for his decision to have Thole bunt, but if Thole had laid down even a decent bunt, and thus advancing Reyes into scoring position, ad potential RBI-single by David Wright would have made Collins look like a savvy manager. Just my two cents.
METS GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
- Jose Reyes went 4-5 with a run scored, and two stolen bases. He now has eight on the season.
- David Wright drew two walks, and almost tied the game in the ninth (if Citi Field had normal dimensions).
- Carlos Beltran went 3-4 with two doubles, including a RBI-producing one in the third inning.
- Dan Murphy, who is essentially the new starting second baseman, went 3-4 with two RBI, one run scored, and his first home-run of the season. The home-run was his first since 2009.
- R.A. Dickey pitched a solid eight innings, giving up eight hits, four earned-runs, two walks, and striking out four batters. He was handed the loss, and his record is now 1-3.
- Jason Isringhausen pitched a scoreless inning, reducing his ERA to 2.45.
Tags: Astros Ben Berkon Collins Collins Bunt Collins Bunting Decision Dan Murphy David Wright Houston Houston Astros Jose Reyes Josh Thole Josh Thole Bunt Mets Mets Astros Mets Astros Highlights Mets Astros Recap New York New York Mets New York Mets Houston Astros New York Mets Houston Astros Highlights New York Mets Houston Astros Recap R.A. Dickey Rising Apple Terry Collins Terry Collins Bunt Terry Collins Bunting Decision Thole Thole Bunt