The series ended in true Mets/Phillies fashion, with the Phillies blasting the Mets for eleven runs. Unlike Cole Hamels or Joe Blanton, Roy Halladay never gave Mets hitters a chance to think about scoring a run. The righty ace pitched seven innings, giving up six hits, no runs, one walk, while striking-out seven batters. Jon Niese, on the other end of the spectrum, looked human–only notching four innings, while surrendering eight hits, six earned-runs, only one walk, and striking-out seven batters. The New York Mets fall to 3-3 on the season–but then again did anyone really expect the Mets to even take one game from the Phils?
As you may recall, the Mets relentlessly took the first game from Cole Hamels and the Phillies, winning 7-1. The surprising win led to a variety of pro-Mets articles, and general good vibes among fans. In the second game, the Mets were able to come back from a seven-run deficit in the fourth and fifth innings of the game, but fell short when the Phillies scored another three runs, winning 10-7.
Here are some highlights for the series in whole:
- David Wright going 4-5 with two RBI, two runs, a double, and a stolen base. (in Game 1)
- Chris R. Young makes his Mets debut with 5.3 innings, giving up five hits, one earned-run, four walks, while striking out seven batters, and recording the win. The pitcher also went 3-3 with a RBI and run scored. (in Game 1)
- Scott Hairston’s swats his first hit as a Met. (in Game 1)
- Brad Emaus’ records his first RBI in the Major Leagues. (in Game 1)
- Taylor Buchholtz strikes out five batters in two innings of relief work. (in Game 2)
- Angel Pagan hits his first homerun of the season, and drives in two RBI. (in Game 2)
- Pedro Beato’s scoreless streak is now at five innings. (in Game 3)
The Mets will now look to get back-on-track for their Home Opener at Citi Field against the Washington Nationals tomorrow at 4:10 PM.
Topics: Ben Berkon, Mets, Mets Phillies Highlights, Mets Phillies Recap, Mets Phillies Series, Mets Phillies Series Highlights, Mets Phillies Series Recap, New York, New York Mets, New York Mets Philadelphia Phillies, Rising Apple