As we speak, Sandy Alderson is on WFAN with Mike Francesa answering questions from crazed Mets fans. I’ve only caught a bit of this madness but I assume the full interview/call answering session will be posted on WFAN.com after it concludes. I’ll be sure to post the link then. in the meantime, here are a few highlights from the little I’ve heard from Sandy:
- Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo will not be on the team…….if they don’t earn their way on.
- Carlos Beltran and Angel Pagan will be in right and center to start the season (no position specified for either one).
- Don’t count the Mets out from going and signing a guy like Jon Garland, though Alderson admitted his financial resources are limited (likely only able to add $5-$10 million to the $130 payroll). The signings of Ronny Paulino and D.J. Carrasco take up roughly $2.5 million of that available dough.
- Alderson expects Johan Santana to return around the All-Star break. I say fat chance that happens
- Alderson said he would not have come to the Mets if he was going to have to operate like a small market GM for a consistent amount of time. Translation: The Mets are letting their big contracts run out and will be back in the market next season. We are going to suck this year so suck it up Mets fans.
I may be in the minority, but I am OK with a NY team rebuilding/regrouping for a year. Alderson’s interview basically confirmed that the Mets will be doing just that.